Business Development Manager
We come to work every day to make the world a better place.
About the Organization
We’re helping people build a better world through efficiency—starting in our own province. Our role is to inform and motivate Nova Scotians to use less energy, use it smarter, and enjoy the good things efficiency brings. We are deeply committed to climate change and a multi-year winner of Canada's Greenest Employers and named one of Atlantic Canada’s Top Employers for 2021.
Our work has achieved more than $1 billion in energy savings and contributed over 24% of Nova Scotia’s GHG emission reductions since 2011. We’re passionate about ensuring that all Nova Scotians have equal access to our programs and understand that energy efficiency can help serve our communities and promote a socially equitable energy future. Find out more about how we are making an impact here: https://www.efficiencyone.ca/impact/.
Why you’ll love working here:
- A culture that understands there is life outside of work and cares about their employees
- An engaging, fun, and inclusive work environment
- An awesome benefits package that starts on day one
- Wellness initiatives and fitness challenges are hosted throughout the year.
- Corporate gym memberships
- Career growth and professional development opportunities
- Being part of a team and contributing to Nova Scotia’s goal of 2050 net-zero carbon
If you want to be part of an organization with an ambitious plan to support the transition to net zero by 2050 and help to build a thriving, resilient future for Nova Scotians, then you belong here!
Want to know what it’s really like to work with us? Reach out to any one of our team members on LinkedIn to hear their firsthand experience at EOne.
EfficiencyOne is looking for a Business Development Manager who will work as a trusted and integral team member reporting directly to the Business Development Manager Lead, responsible for actively seeking new business opportunities in key market segments and with assigned accounts, leveraging the company reputation and your own industry contacts to best effect.
A snapshot of what you will be involved with:
- Responsible for meeting with B2B sales prospects and partners and capitalizing on existing or new opportunities by using existing or custom-tailored solutions.
- Responsible for managing & build relationships with clients and partners to win repeat opportunities.
- Responsible for coaching, & training peers doing similar work. The role necessitates team engagement to address relevant issues & provide timely and specific feedback and support to colleagues.
- Responsible to develop new business through cold calling, appointment setting, and meeting in a continual process achieving results with new clients and partners, thus garnering opportunities for lateral and vertical sales growth for the corporation.
- Responsible for preparing action plans and schedules and identifying opportunities that support and align with goals and targeted results.
- Responsible for expanding the business into new markets and attracting new customers.
- Responsible to prepare presentations, proposals, and sales contracts.
- Responsible for researching, evaluating, and reviewing existing and new business services, emphasizing identifying gaps (existing and/or expected) in support of goals.
- Responsible for penetrating existing markets and identifying opportunities.
- Responsible for controlling and managing certain items within a budget or maintaining expenditures within a budget; prepared annual budget and forecasts as required for those items.
- Responsible to champion research and development to encourage and identify new business opportunities throughout various industries in order to detect and evaluate innovations earlier than competitors;
- Responsible for major account planning, scheduling, and performance monitoring
- Must have a reliable vehicle to be able to attend meetings with clients & networking opportunities.
What Will Help You Succeed?
- University degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Architecture, Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to deliver in each phase of the sales cycle, from establishing a relationship to closing the sale.
- Minimum three (3) to five (5) years of relevant sales experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams) and Salesforce CRM software.
- In-depth industry-related knowledge of the commercial buildings, institutional and government sectors would be an asset.
- Ability to develop strategic business relationships with senior management.
- Excellent client service skills (internal/external partners and customers), including the ability to work collaboratively or independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently, take the initiative, handle multiple tasks, and work to a high standard in an environment with tight timelines/deadlines.
- Idea generation and innovative and creative problem-solving are required.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, diplomacy & discretion.
What to expect in your first several weeks on the job:
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet with other Business Development Managers and Leads to learn about the position.
- Meet with Program Managers from Efficiency Nova Scotia’s programs for commercial businesses.
- Review videos and documentation on Salesforce CRM
- Review current opportunities and projects for your customer verticals.
- Meet colleagues from other teams and departments to learn more about the organizations.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin to meet with clients.
- Learn more about the team and/or department initiatives.
- Become familiar with the team’s targets, goals, and overall objectives.
- Become familiar with the sales process.
- Learn reporting and case management practices.
- Meet other team members within EfficiencyOne you will work closely with and understand how you will collaborate.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Manage customer relationships.
- Create new leads and work on new and existing projects.
- Collaborate with internal colleagues to develop and implement team/department initiatives.
- Become familiar with in-depth team requirements.
- Prepare internal reports and sales plans.
- Manage relationships, fulfill information requests, and troubleshoot concerns of program partners, stakeholders, and relevant internal staff.
We embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. We welcome your application no matter who you are, where you’re from, how you think, what you believe in, or whom you love. We all come from different backgrounds and walks of life, bringing unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any accommodation in the application and interview process (including different materials or otherwise).