An excellent opportunity exists to work for a government contractor with competitive compensation and work-life balance. Posterity Group is seeking an experienced Ambulatory Procedure Visit Medical Coder for the Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
4881 Sugar Maple Drive
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assignment of accurate Evaluation and Management (E&M) codes, ICD diagnoses, current procedural terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), modifiers and quantities derived from medical record documentation (paper or electronic) for ambulatory procedure visits.
- Trains and educates MTF staff on coding issues and plays a significant role in departmental and clinic-wide coding compliance activities.
- Responsible for assignment of accurate E&M, ICD, CPT and HCPCS codes and modifiers from medical record documentation into the Government computer systems.
- Identifies and abstracts information from medical records (paper or electronic) for special studies and audits, internal and external.
- Interacts with MTF staff to ensure documentation is clear and supports coding assignments. Educates MTF staff through individual or group in-services and training sessions.
- Maintains a delinquency report of missing records in order to facilitate completion of work within the required thresholds.
- Works closely with the Coding Supervisor/auditor during audit process.
- Ensures all required component parts of the medical record that pertain to coding are present, accurate and compile with DoD and JCAHO requirements.
- Works with Coding Compliance-Editor software to ensure records are accurately coded.
Mandatory knowledge and skills:
- Position requires excellent computer/communication skills for provider and staff interactions.
- Knowledge of anatomy/physiology and disease process, medical terminology, coding guidelines (outpatient and ambulatory surgery), documentation requirements, familiarity with medications and reimbursement guidelines; and encoder experience.
- Candidate must have ability to handle multiple projects and appropriately prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
Education/Certification - the following are recognized certifications:
- Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA),
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Outpatient Coder (COC), Certified Coder Specialist (CCS), Certified Coder Specialist – Physician (CCS-P) are preferred for outpatient/ambulatory surgery medical coders as long as candidate has a minimum of three (3)-year experience in the outpatient setting (physician’s office or ambulatory care centers) within the last five (5) years.
- An accrediting institution recognized by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and/or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) must accredit education and certification.
Continued Education Requirements:
- A minimum of three years' experience in the outpatient setting (ambulatory care centers) within the last five years is required or a minimum of two years if experience if that experience was in a military treatment facility.
- Multiple specialties encompass different medical specialties (i.e. Family Practice, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, etc.) that utilize ICD, E&M, CPT, and HCPCS codes. Ancillary specialties (PT/OT, Radiology, Lab, Nutrition, etc.) that usually do NOT use E&M codes do not count as qualifying experience.
- Additionally, coding, auditing and training exclusively for specialties such as home health, skilled nursing facilities, and rehabilitation care will not be considered as qualifying experience. Coding experience limited to making codes conform to specific payer requirements for the business office (insurance billing, accounts receivable) is not a qualifying factor.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
- The work is primarily sedentary. Requirements may include prolonged walking, standing, sitting or bending. Carrying or lifting of medical records may be required daily. Use of one or more computer programs and monitors may be required daily.
Posterity Group LLC is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled