Responsible for underwriting
and evaluating residential mortgage loan applications originated by the bank’s
Mortgage Lenders. Responsible for recommending
loan approval of applications. Familiarity and experience with government and
Essential Duties and
Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned.)
· Analyzes personal/business tax returns and financial
statements in mortgage loan applications for underwriting. Review and evaluate
loan documents to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with bank
standards, federal and agency standards and guidelines, as well as any
applicable state-specific and or local regulations, ordinances, etc.
· Analyze customer’s loan to value ratio, credit report,
application, income and assets, source(s) of down payment funds, and supporting
documentation to identify potential fraud or misrepresentation.
· Evaluates loan risk and makes underwriting decisions
on mortgage loan applications following bank policies and procedures, security
guidelines, and complying with all federal, state and local regulations
· Applies underwriting guidelines with the Bank’s
investors and programs
· Conduct credit review to ensure that granted loan
approval is within Investor guidelines
· Makes underwriting decision on each mortgage loan and
· Must be able to work overtime as business needs
· Assists Credit Admin with “new builder approvals”
· Works closely with Processing and Closing to meet
· Minimize the number mortgage loans that cannot be sold
into the secondary market and loans that require repurchase by paying close
attention to all details of the underwriting process, regardless of which
investor is anticipated to purchase the respective loan. (Goal is zero.)
· Once “lending authority” is granted, approve mortgage loans
within authority limits
· Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or minimum
of 5 years of recent mortgage underwriting experience, or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
· FHA DE and VA SAR designation required.
· Knowledge of HMDA reporting requirements related to
· Knowledge and experience with all regulations and policies
to ensure compliance
· Experience with USDA, Bond, DPA, multi-state, complex
· Ability to underwrite and properly package a loan.
· Effective oral and written communication skills.
· Superior analytical thinking and mathematical skills.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions
furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Proficiency in using personal computers and office
products (e.g., Word, Excel).
· Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work independently.
· Self-starter who is goal- and results-oriented.
· Ability to multi-task using effective time management
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Systems experience, including with Calyx Point, preferred
· Familiarity with State Housing loans, preferred.