WHO WE ARE
MILA was created to prove that doing good for the planet doesn’t have to come with compromise. Through trusted culinary innovation and a focus on internationally inspired flavor, MILA delivers an elevated, yet approachable, plant-based dining experience. Our premium casual restaurant concept was built with comfort, warmth, and a goal of bringing people together over a shared meal.
We are a locally owned, fast-paced fine dining restaurant in the heart Vancouver’s historic Chinatown. We believe that we have a responsibility to impart positive change in our community, the environment, and the world. We achieve that through sourcing sustainable food solutions and crafting innovative offerings to prove that eating vegan isn’t a sacrifice but an experience worth sharing.
WHO YOU ARE
Being a Prep Cook at MILA means you are a key member of our kitchen staff, ensuring that each day we are prepared to deliver exceptional culinary dishes to our guests. Providing the support and food safety practices that facilitate a smooth dining service and a cohesive working environment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Proper setup and shutdown of the kitchen line to support a clean and safe work environment.
- Maintain a clean space doing tasks including, but not limited to, taking out the trash/recycling/compost, sanitizing stations, and completing routine deep cleans.
- Comply with all food, health and safety standards, regulations, and policies to meet or exceed expectations.
- Safely use/clean various kitchen tools and equipment including knives, ovens, and more.
- Washing and putting away dishes.
- Cook on the line during service hours, lunch, and dinner.
- Work collaboratively with team members to ensure that foods come out simultaneously, in high quality and in a timely fashion.
- Portion food and complete basic prep tasks to support the flow of the kitchen.
- Assist with receiving and putting away orders.
- Complete daily stocking lists, and stock station/line for daily service.
- Monitor product freshness and follow FIFO.
- Maintain positive and professional communication with all team members, delivery drivers and customers.
- Have strong knowledge of current recipes, policies, procedures, and portion sizes.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Previous working experience cooking in restaurants is considered an asset.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and inter-functional team environment.
- High standard of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tickets for dine-in, delivery, and to-go orders.
- Capacity to work as a valuable team member or independently.
- Personal alignment with MILA’s vision, values, and team culture is considered an asset.
- Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-hour shifts.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to safely use ladders and step stools.
- 75% off meals up to $20/per shift.
- 20% off meals outside of working hours.
- FSEAP Mental Health resources.
- Shared tip pool split system.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.