ABOUT VERTAVA HEALTH: Vertava Health is a leading national behavioral healthcare system for mental health and substance use disorders, providing a full continuum of services based on the individuals' varying needs at different times in their health and recovery journey. We apply evidence-based treatment modalities at every level of care and embed digital health tools to enhance and amplify clinical outcomes. With a growing list of Joint Commission accredited inpatient and outpatient locations across the country, a virtual care platform and a national network of healthcare providers, Vertava Health pioneers care that empowers people so that they can live out their best future.
As a growing for-profit, private-equity sponsored, market-leading behavioral healthcare company, Vertava Health is building the following platform:
Clinical Differentiation – a full continuum behavioral health provider of mental health and chronic SUD services through a seamless clinical delivery model using evidence-based human and digital interventions for quality outcomes.
Payor Alignment – >90% in-network revenue mix through traditional and value-based payor agreements to improve access to high quality, affordable care.
Strong Sales & Marketing Engines – expertise and integrity through balanced sales and marketing channels with strategic localized market approach.
Technology Enabled – large investment in technology to increase access and quality at lower costs through virtual care, patient engagement technologies and a seamless customer experience.
Growth – strategic, replicable buy and build playbooks to bolster organic growth.
Vertava Health seeks a forward-thinking physician leader to help address one of the biggest issues facing the US healthcare system. The Chief Medical Officer will help build the overall clinical model and outcome measurement through deep engagement with the payors. The CMO will have the change to impact both the quality of care and the growth of the company by extending the clinical model, including development and expansion of an effective outpatient and virtual care model to complement treatment at existing inpatient locations.
In order to make this possible, we need an exceptional Chief Medical Officer who can meet the requirements below. Think you have what it takes to help us change lives all over the country?
The Chief Medical Officer will be a critical member of the executive leadership team and will represent Vertava Health as its foremost authority and leader of clinical efficacy, quality, and integrity. The CMO will provide clinical leadership and direct oversight of Vertava Health’s clinical quality and philosophy. The CMO will lead and/or participate in the planning, implementation and ongoing management of clinical operations including the development of population health management strategies and new strategic clinical initiatives. The CMO will play a key role in the transformation of Vertava Health’s relationship with the payer community and will provide strategy and guidance over all clinical aspects of an integrated mental health/substance use treatment company. This position will work closely with executive leadership in operations, strategy, contracting, legal, privacy, compliance, HR/People and IT departments as well as clinical and operations leadership.
Priority responsibilities include:
- With the CEO and Executive Leadership Team (ELT), develop and implement short-term and long-term strategic plans required for Vertava Health’s ongoing growth and success.
- Oversee and collaborate the company-wide Medical Directors to drive best-in-class outcomes and determine most effective continuum for patient care.
- Provide leadership and direction in developing and implementing Vertava Health’s managed care strategy. Proactively lead conversations with the payer community to foster the kind of collaboration and innovative thinking necessary to promote payment reform and enhance conversations that lead to greater in-network coverage for mental health and addiction treatment.
- Partner with the CEO and ELT to identify and define measures of success in mental health and addiction treatment, using evidence-based outcomes and data-driven approaches.
- Review/interpret policies, accreditation standards, regulations, etc. related to medical/clinical topics
- Oversee Medical Advisory Committee, on behalf of the CEO, to ensure policies, standards, regulations and compliance standards are adhered to across the entire company.
- Conduct assessments of medical policies/policy implementation and clinical operations within the organization and department
- Gather/review clinical and other information related to specific cases or decisions (e.g., contact and listen to providers; case managers)
- Regularly travel to Vertava Health’s locations to meet and mentor Medical Directors and staff to ensure alignment and attainment of company goals.
- Speak. Lecture, publish white papers, participate in panels, and chair or become a member of influential organizations that support Vertava Health’s brand purpose and values.
- Promote a culture of quality care with a focus on clinical outcome and efficiency.
- Identify and mitigate risks, using data-driven approaches to identify gaps and prioritize initiatives.
- Serve as a strategic thinking partner within the team and collaborate with and maintain sustainable relationships with Vertava Health.
- Board certified MD or DO degree and unrestricted license to practice medicine required
- 10+ years of clinical experience and strategic vision to change the status quo in mental health and addiction treatment.
- MBA or advanced management degree is preferred but not required.
- Experience in a managed care setting or provider based business with a solid understanding of the inner workings of medical management activities, including case management, utilization management, quality management, and prior authorization.
- Experience leading and coaching physicians to be the best they can be for their patients and their colleagues
- Up-to-date on relevant trends in behavioral medicine and substance use disorders
- Exceptional communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills coupled with a demonstrated ability to effectively express complex technical and scientific concepts to a broad range of stakeholders
- Experience with strategic planning and positioning an organization for the future, looking beyond the present situation to conceptualize key trends and identify changing market demands.
- Detailed understanding of relevant technologies enabling clinical workflows, incl. EHRs and clinical decision support systems
- Experience with development and implementation of clinical protocols and practice guidelines
- Strong ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally; ability to listen, provide insight, and make decisions based on objective criteria
- Experience using a metrics-driven approach to analyze cost, quality, and satisfaction data to drive clinical strategy and program redesign
- Ability to lead in an evolving environment
Personal and Professional Attributes:
- Honest and a highly ethical team player
- Initiative, self-confidence, good judgment, and the ability to make decisions in a timely fashion without all the available data/evidence desired.
- Highly engaged, energetic, focused and execution-oriented.
- Willing and able to roll up sleeves and do hands-on work one minute and discuss strategic positioning and the “big picture” the next.
- Strong work ethic, achievement-oriented, and motivated beyond personal interests.
- Open leadership style. Actively seeks out and supports collaborative thinking and problem solving with others in the organization.
- Preferred location is Nashville, Tennessee location but mobile/remote is acceptable with willingness and ability to travel to HQ, visit sites and locations of care across entire company.
- Ability to use hands and fingers, talk or hear
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and reach continually. Ability to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch frequently
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Close vision required to see computer monitor, read documents, and operate copy and fax machine
- Work environment is indoors and climate controlled. Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions
Vertava Health is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled