Reports To: Director of Recreation and Wellness or Recreation Manager
Salary: $16-17.50/hour, commensurate with experience
Position Summary: The sailing instructor is part of a fun, dynamic, hard-working team, responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the Lakeside Sailing Club sailing classes. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, sailing class instruction, private lessons, certification training & refresher classes, and special events such as sailing regattas and is responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of the sailing facilities and grounds. Works as part of Waterfront Rental Staff, providing watercraft rentals and safety surveillance at the Waterfront
About Lakeside Chautauqua: Lakeside Chautauqua is a family destination that has pioneered the act of nurturing mind, body and spirit for 150 years. Conveniently located between Toledo and Cleveland on Lake Erie’s south shore, Lakeside offers a robust summer programming season packed with cultural, educational, spiritual and recreational opportunities. Within the one-square-mile community, you’ll find hundreds of unique Victorian cottages, a concert auditorium, arts center, historic waterfront hotel, movie theater, pool, tennis, sailing, shopping, dining and much more. Join our team this year to help Lakeside celebrate its 150th Anniversary. For more information, visit lakesideohio.com/employment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide and reinforce all water and boating safety education to all watercraft operators
· Instruct both Basic I and Basic II Sailing Classes as appropriate to skill level
· Hold private lessons for patrons
· Safely operate Chase Boat to communicate with patrons about weather related changes in operations or exceeding time limit.
· Safely operate Chase Boat to provide rescue towing of patrons and watercraft as needed
· Responsible for the supervision of sailing and waterfront rentals launch area
· Maintain all sailing equipment, and watercraft fleet
· Assist with planning and staffing of Sailing and Waterfront Events
· Assists guests with launching, transporting, and storing watercraft appropriately
· Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of sailing center and waterfront
· Assists in the cleaning of the beach, dock, pavilion, and waterfront facilities on daily basis
· Provides a safe atmosphere for all guests and employees of the sailing center
· Responds to and assists with all First Aid Emergencies at the waterfront
· Ensures customer relations and satisfaction are of highest priority with all staff
· Other duties as assigned by Waterfront Supervisor, Sailing Program Coordinator, or Recreation Manager
· Must be certified in Basic Life Saving (CPR/First Aid/AED)
· Hold a US Sailing Instructor Certification or equivalent
· Safesport Certificate
· Ohio Boating Safety Education Certificate required
· Responsible High School student or graduate
· 2-3 years related experience or training
How to Apply:
Lakeside Chautauqua is an equal opportunity employer.
Environment & Physical Demands:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees of the operation or residents and guests of the property.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems d deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, climb or balance. Specific vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus are required. Must be able to lift heavy equipment and material up to 50 pounds with assistance. Must be able to climb ladders. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet, cold, humid, hot, very hot, conditions and will be required to work outdoors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.