Young People in Recovery
Houston Chapter Lead
Organization and Program Overview:
Young People in Recovery (YPR) envisions a world where everyone can access the necessary resources to recover from substance use disorder.
YPR’s mission is to provide the training and networks all individuals, families, and communities need to recover and maximize their full potential. Visit the YPR website at www.youngpeopleinrecovery.org for additional information.
The Hilton Foundation has provided funding for YPR to implement, expand, and enhance peer recovery support service programs in Houston, Texas for individuals struggling with substance use disorders.
YPR is seeking individuals to facilitate the launch and running of a local YPR chapter in their respective communities.
- All communications from any YPR employee must be responded to within 24 business hours. This includes text, phone, email, & Slack. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action
- Complete YPR’s online orientation
- Oversee all Chapter events and operations including all-recovery meetings, pro-social events, chapter workshops, and advocacy events
- Communicate weekly with National Chapter Coordinator
- Recruit Chapter Members and develop Chapter Leadership Team
- Communicate weekly with Chapter Leadership Team
- Host All Recovery Meetings twice a month
- Engage in grassroots community outreach via emails, phone calls, and face-to-face meetings
- Utilize the YPR Connect portal to submit past event reports, incoming donations, and funding requests
- Register Chapter leaders, members and supporters through the appropriate platforms (YPR Connect/YPR website)
- Secure free or inexpensive venue space for Chapter meetings and events
- Collaborate with other YPR Chapter Leads for statewide joint events and advocacy efforts
- Support and encourage the many pathways of recovery
Marginal/incidental functions and other related tasks, as assigned.
Location: Houston, Texas
Official Title: Houston Chapter Lead
- Required training upon hire prior to implementation
- 20 hours per week
- Flexibility required
Compensation: $10 per hour
- Experience working successfully with diverse communities
- Understanding of substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery
- Positive and supportive attitude toward all pathways of recovery
- Sensitivity and awareness of the unique needs and stigmas associated with underserved populations
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Experience working successfully with young adults
- Experience working successfully with people with substance use disorders
- Experience working successfully with those involved in the criminal justice system
- Previous training and certification in trauma-informed response, cultural competency, and peer education
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
Physical demands and work environment:
- Occasionally required to stand
- Occasionally required to walk
- Occasionally required to sit
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Continually required to talk or hear
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move more than 10 pounds
Travel: Must have reliable transportation to the chapter meeting location(s).
People in recovery and YPR chapter members/leaders encouraged to apply.
Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please submit resume and letter of interest to the job board you apply through and chapters @youngpeopleinrecovery.orgwith the subject line “Houston Chapter Lead”. Please indicate where you saw this posting or how you heard about the position.
YPR is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate, and we will take affirmative action to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nation of origin, age, religion, creed, disability, recovery status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.