CNY Helpers has openings for dependable staff members that take pride in helping the elderly in their homes with general homemaking duties and Companion services. Schedules are flexible and mostly Monday through Friday. Please read on for a further description of duties.
CNY Helpers, LLC dba Home Helpers & Direct Link #58740
Job Title/Position: Homemaker/Companion
Reports To: Care Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Homemaker/Companion is responsible for prompting and verbally assisting and observing clients, reporting and recording these observations and documenting the
services provided. He/She may also be called upon to shop, run errands, cook and do light housekeeping.
The homemaker/companion will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity and safety of services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists clients in non-personal, non-nursing self-care activities.
2. Provides homemaking services for the ill, injured, impaired, disabled or aged.
A. Makes and changes unoccupied bed
3. Observes the client for changes in general physical and mental conditions. Reports
any changes noted to the care coordinator or supervisor.
4. Keeps the home clean and orderly.
A. Dusts and vacuums rooms used by the client
B. Light cleaning of kitchen, bedroom and bathroom
5. Plans meals and purchases food and household supplies, as appropriate.
6. Prepares and serves nutritious meals according to the client’s and caregiver's
needs and the client's services delivery plan.
7. Washes dishes and cleans the kitchen after meals.
8. Assists the client and caregiver in the practice of safety, hygiene, and good nutrition
9. Does client’s laundry. May also iron and mend clothing
10. Adheres to the documentation and care procedures and standards of personal and
1. Is at least 18 years of age.
2. Possesses and maintains good physical stamina and mental health. Presents a preemployment
physician's health clearance, including negative TB skin tests or CXR
and other tests as required by specific state statute.
3. Has ability to read, follow written instructions, and document services provided.
4. Is self-directed with the ability to work with little direct supervision.
5. Has empathy for the needs of the ill, injured, frail and impaired.
6. Possess and maintains current CPR certification.
7. Is flexible and cooperative in fulfilling role obligation.
8. Demonstrates tact, patience and good personal hygiene.
9. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with
state and organization requirements and is in good working order. OR Must
maintain a safe and efficient method of transportation aimed at arriving to work as
The homemaker/Companion will not function in any manner viewed as the practice of
nursing according to the New York Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the homemaker/Companion will not administer medications, take physician's orders or perform procedures
requiring the training, knowledge and skill of a nurse, specifically sterile techniques. The homemaker/Companion provides non-skilled, non-medical functions only.
1. Bending - Frequent bending related to job function is necessary
2. Lifting - Occasional light lifting is required and candidates should be able to lift up to 40 pounds without straining.
3. Standing – Up to 100% of work time may be spent standing and walking on surfaces that can
range from hardwood floors, carpeting or concrete floors. Stationary standing is
required for periods sufficient to provide administrative functions. Closed toed, secure footwear is required
4. Walking – For entry to and from, as well as mobility through the client’s home,
agency’s office, hospital and other areas, extensive walking will be required on the
same surfaces as those listed above. Walking with clients for client exercise
programs may also be required.
5. Climbing – Some homes may have multiple levels where stairs need to be utilized but climbing of ladders and step stools is prohibited.
1. Touch – Ability to distinguish heat and cold. Must have fine motor skills to grasp
items, manual dexterity and the motor skills to lift items.
2. Smell – Able to detect odors and distinguish those signifying health and safety
3. Vision – Normal range of vision to detect and distinguish those signifying health and