Are you a resourceful practitioner with a passion to support individuals who are homeless and/or vulnerable transition towards maintaining sustainable and healthy lifestyles? Join The Mustard Seed's Health and Wellness team!
Position Type: Full time
Schedule: Monday to Friday - Days
Reporting to: Managing Director (Medicine Hat)
Location: Medicine Hat
The Health & Wellness Coordinator is committed to helping people who are homeless transition toward and maintain sustainable and healthy lifestyles. The purpose of the Health and Wellness area is to facilitate the case management of guests at the Seed. This key role will build the structure necessary to support Medicine Hat systems in connecting guests with any needed external and internal resources to provide multifaceted wraparound health and wellness services.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understands the social determinants of health and how they impact client’s overall ability to reach wellness goals, and use them to determine programming;
- Support advocates and provide day to day supervision to the Wellness team;
- Ensure that advocates meet with new clients who come into the Support Centre and do the Mustard Seed General Intake getting new clients referred as quickly as possible to other internal support programs;
- Supervise interdisciplinary clinical students in accordance with their college or university’s expectations;
- Educate and empower clients to understand and achieve their rights and responsibilities, as participating members of society;
- Liaise with internal and external resources that will help clients increase their assets and facilitate their security in relation to housing, food, finances, health, etc.
- Maintain existing partnerships with external agencies as well as develop new partnerships which benefit TMS clients;
- Develop system navigation structures based on The Mustard Seed templates;
- Collaborate with Volunteer Services to ensure meaningful volunteer positions are situated throughout each department;
- Actively recruit third party volunteers and practicum placements to fill appropriate positions within The Mustard Seed;
- Ensure clients have accessed external resources by completing follow up with clients and agencies;
- Provide crisis intervention, as necessary;
- Provide input into program evaluation upon request;
- For guests who have a Caseworker, compliment the work the Caseworkers by acting as a consultant and liaison for issues that require guest access to external resources;
- For guests without a Caseworker, refer these guests directly to internal and external resources;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform continued environmental assessments to ensure that the appropriate services are being provided through the Health and Wellness program
- Ensure KPIs are tailored for the programming provided and demonstrate the full breadth of services
- Build a comprehensive library and knowledge base on community resources
- Share and disseminate community resource information
- Track assigned clients’ progress with external resources
- Communicate relevant information to Caseworker about interactions with clients and observed behavior
- Document guest interactions, guest referrals and guest progress on the HMIS
- Track statistics and prepare reports, as required
- Attend meetings and training, as assigned
- Serve on internal and external committees, as requested
- Provide input into the development of policies and procedures for designated programs
- Ensure that clients’ records and information are kept confidential, updated and secure
- Approve vacation, sick and flex time for advocates
- Perform annual performance reviews
- Liaise with internal and external resources that will help guests increase their assets. This includes maintaining existing partnerships as well as developing new partnerships
- Advocate for guest as needed both to access resources within and outside the organization
- Ensure guests accessed external resources by completing follow up with guests and agencies
- Provide input into program evaluation upon request
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Masters in Social Work
- Registered with appropriate college
- Three to five years of related working experience
- Excellent administrative, time management and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with members of the multidisciplinary team, and community agencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of Southern Alberta community (mental) health and addiction resources, and adept in navigating those systems
- Knowledge of FOIP, HIA, and PIPPA
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team & accomplish goals
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs)
- Excellent advocacy skills
- Time in excess of regular working hours may be required on occasion.
- Local travel to various Mustard Seed sites, client residencies, and external agencies maybe required.
- Moderate mental effort required to successfully accomplish the essential job functions such as providing information, resolving discrepancies, responding to highly intense situations etc.
- Moderate physical effort is required to successfully accomplish the essential job functions, such as keyboarding to word process documents, enter data into database etc.
- Although The Mustard Seed is dedicated to monitoring the circumstances surrounding the COVID 19 pandemic and the safety of our employees is top priority; due to the nature of the position, our frontline staff could be prone to risk of contracting COVID-19 like any other front
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days.
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.