Work involves operating equipment and performing manual labor in the maintenance of turf, trees, roads, parking lots, streams, trails, and storm sewer systems in District preserves. Proper maintenance practices ensure the safety of all forest preserve users while maintaining healthy natural and recreational areas for future generations to enjoy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- This position performs all aspects of landscape maintenance and landscape installation for construction projects including, but not limited to:
- Fine and rough mowing of general use areas and trails including pre-mowing cleanup
- Tree and shrub planting, mulching, irrigation, and staking
- Maintenance and installation of annual and perennial planting beds including both ornamental and native landscapes
- Invasive species and small dead tree removals including herbicide application
- Debris and leaf collection in general use areas
- Fertilization and aeration of fine mowed areas
- Turf restoration utilizing industry best management practices
- Maintenance of planting beds including edging, mulching, and herbicide application
- Trimming around signs, gates, trees, beds, signs, etc.
- Installation and maintenance of various types of hardscaping and water features
- Operations and minor repairs of various types of industrial equipment
- Assist with snow removal, prescribed burns, and river clearing as needed
- Perform other duties as required
This position is assigned to landscape crew; however, this position can potentially be transferred to various crews temporarily as needed. Every effort will be made to put personnel in areas of their preference, yet maintaining the balance of crew sizes and proper function of the department shall remain the prime objective.
Education and Experience Required
Related Experience: One (1) year experience in the operation and maintenance of equipment that relates to grounds maintenance.
Special training or other license, certification, etc.: Illinois Department Of Agriculture Pesticide Operators License; Blood Borne Pathogen training; First Aid / First Response certification, CPR training, ability to obtain Midwest Ecological Prescribed Burn Certification or equivalent within 2 years of employment, ability to obtain a Class A (CDL) Commercial Driver’s License (with air brakes and tanker endorsements) within six (6) months of employment. Pursuant to OSHA 1910.134, physicals are required for job assignments that fall under the District’s Respiratory program. Valid Driver’s License required.
Knowledge of: Landscape maintenance, construction, and installation; turf management; maintenance and construction of asphalt and gravel surfaces; occupational hazards and proper safety precautions; safe handling of herbicides and pesticides; GPS/GIS applications.
Skills In: Identification of trees, shrubs, native grasses, wildflowers, and exotic weeds for horticulture aspects of preserve management; safe and proper operation and maintenance of a variety of grounds equipment; performing manual labor tasks; understanding and following verbal or written instructions; maintaining effective working relationships.
Hours & Schedule: 6:45 AM-3: 15 PM, Monday-Friday (may include weekends)
Comments: Uniforms provided, safety boot and safety glasses allowance.
Working Environment: Work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Equal Employment Policy: As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County complies with Federal, State, and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. The Forest Preserve District makes all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sex (wages), genetics, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, retaliation, or other unlawful considerations.
*Applications must be filled out to their entirety, including the electronic signature, to be considered for this position. Resumes may be included but are not accepted in lieu of the application.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County RP089 is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled