The Director, Drug Discovery Chemistry is a leadership role working as part of a multi-disciplinary research team focused on the discovery and development of targeted protein degradation therapeutics. Responsible for applying their knowledge and experience to guide drug discovery programs and advance drug candidates into development. Functions as a key member of the research team and helps to provide scientific direction to the discovery organization. Represents functional group on cross-disciplinary project teams.
- Providing highest quality scientific leadership to the chemistry group. This includes (i) support and maintenance of a culture of excellence, collaboration, and open dialog within the chemistry group and across C4T; (ii) critical input and guidance on experimental design, data interpretation and direction on a chemistry and project level; and (iii) career development for group members.
- Development and timely implementation of innovative approaches to scientific problems, both within the chemistry team and across C4T.
- Execution of key technology development projects that fall fully, or largely, within the scope of the chemistry team. In addition, provides input and advice on IP protection for these projects.
- Effective leadership in a matrixed environment, including: (i) project lead, (ii) chemistry project lead, (iii) providing advice and insights to teams on project specific issues and general drug discovery expertise across C4T; (iv) providing advice on hit, lead, and candidate selection criteria for C4T projects especially with a view to “go/no-go” criteria based on input from colleagues, project team members and external experts; (v) partnering with the Senior Scientific Leadership team to build nimble, cost-effective, and seamless strategies for the spectrum of compound synthesis, in vitro and cellular pharmacology assays, and in vivo studies needed for C4T drug discovery programs
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD required in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry or appropriate related discipline, 7+ years industry experience, with a minimum of 4 years leadership experience
- Strong background and knowledge in Chemistry with a proven track record of drug discovery
- Working knowledge of biology and pharmacology strongly desired
- Experience with structure based drug design
- Accomplished author of both function-specific publications and patent applications
- Demonstrated leadership, including effective cross-function project leadership
- Skilled in leading and supporting to enable highly effective teams
- Skilled talent cultivator to enable career development of direct reports
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaborative spirit
- Critical and creative thinker with an eye towards driving projects to development candidate selection.