Are you looking to build your career in the Medicine Hat
community? Come join us at The Mustard Seed!
We are a certified Best Christian Workplace and humanitarian
organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support
change. The Mustard Seed combats the
root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change
in the lives of those we serve. The
Mustard Seed provides basic services – food, clothing and housing, and support
services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta
and British Columbia.
The Mental Health Counsellor is a full-time (fixed term) role committed
to helping people experiencing homelessness or poverty transition towards
maintaining sustainable and healthy lifestyles through the provision of
appropriate treatment and case management services. The mental health counsellor will be focused
on person-centered care, work within a team environment to provide appropriate
counselling and assessments to both children and adults as part of a community
- Establish and maintain relationships with, and consults
with, clients and their families, colleagues, and the Indigenous community to
provide appropriate treatment services based on best practices, client need,
and a combination of care practices and approaches as appropriate.
- Performs mental health and addictions assessment and
treatment; crisis intervention; consultation; individual, couple and family
counselling, and group therapy and clinical education to provide, facilitate
and coordinate client access to services.
- Advocate for clients to access resources within and outside
the organization, continue to update resources for staff, clients, and future
- Master’s degree in Counselling or equivalent; active or
eligible for registration with the College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP),
Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW), or an equivalent regulatory body,
either provisionally or fully.
- Knowledge of mental illness and treatment; substance abuse
and addictions treatment; psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects);
psychotherapeutic and counselling skills, with particular emphasis on
evidence-based interventions with trauma and attachment disruption in
populations who experience historical oppression.
- Willing to supervise Clinical Masters’ students (whether SW,
Counselling or Psych) students on an ongoing basis
- Understanding of vulnerable populations, in particular those
experiencing homelessness, and 1-2 years’ experience working in the field.
- Ability to perform C Level assessments considered an asset.
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions
at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our
employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s
Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a
full-time basis for any employer
- To support our staff and the vulnerable population we serve,
we require new hires to have COVID-19 vaccination
This posting closes on September 30th or until the best
candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only
those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed
reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.