Founded in 1965 as part of the War on Poverty, Worcester Community Action Council (WCAC) is one of 1,000 community action agencies across the U.S. and 23 in Massachusetts created to address disparities throughout the nation.
Our values of advancing equitable access, elevating all voices, and partnering with people are embedded in the role we play as the federally designated anti-poverty agency for Central and South-Central Massachusetts. WCAC embodies service to the community through our Mission: Helping people move to economic self-sufficiency through programs, partnerships, and advocacy.
Our vision is to break the cycle of poverty one neighbor at a time. Through safety-net services and asset building solutions, WCAC creates economic mobility opportunities for tens of thousands of people annually through programs such as energy assistance, early education and care, financial empowerment, positive youth development, and career pathways.
WCAC is committed to being a responsible and inclusive partner through strong collaboration and a shared client perspective. We are committed to advocating for policies that create equitable access to education, health, social, and economic systems. We are committed to a workplace culture with a shared passion for our mission that promotes teamwork, respect, and the opportunity to make a difference.
About WCAC Early Education and Care Programs
Through our Early Head Start and Head Start Programs, WCAC provides a continuum of early education and care programming for families throughout Southern Worcester County prenatally through Kindergarten enrollment. We strive to support positive parent/child interactions through developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities for the whole family to participate in. Early Head Start provides intensive comprehensive child development and family support services to low-income infants and toddlers through age three and pregnant women and their families. We currently operate two Head Start Centers, one in Southbridge operating 8 classrooms and the other in Webster with 4 classrooms.
WCAC is seeking a full time Office Administrator to oversee the administrative function for the Head Start (HS) and Early Head Start (EHS) programs in Southbridge. This is a full-time, year-round, exempt level position. WCAC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, 403(b) retirement plan with Agency contribution, flexible spending account, paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field preferred or Associate’s degree with prior accounting or business management experience. Combination of experience and education equivalent to five years of business administration experience will be considered.
- 3 – 5 years’ business administration experience required - child care setting preferred.
- Experience managing childcare subsidies/voucher system strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Proficient computer skills and the ability to learn Agency databases required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with co-workers, parents, and outside vendors.
- Ability to multi-task and handle interruptions throughout the day and remain on task.
- Excellent organization and project management skills, with attention to details.
- Prior supervisory experience and the ability to train staff and work well in a team.
- Must possess leadership skills and the ability to follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Proactive and creative individual who can forecast the needs of the programs.
Special Certification or Documentation:
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Ability to travel between WCAC locations.
- Ability to successfully complete a CORI/SORI/DCF/finger printing review every two years.
- Mandatory physical every two years and evidence of negative Mantoux, required by DEEC. Hepatitis B (optional).
- First Aid and CPR Certificate for infants and children.
- Evening hours may be required to meet the needs of families and programs.
- Must be reachable and available for emergencies.
- Physical ability to fulfill duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Program Director and finance staff to procure necessary equipment or services in accordance with WCAC’s purchasing policy and procedures. This includes obtaining bids for service, service agreements for consultants, and registering staff for conferences and trainings with all necessary accommodations.
- Assure that Purchase Orders, Invoices, Check Requests, Expense Reimbursements for Head Start are properly completed, approved, and coded and submitted to the finance office on a weekly basis.
- Keep electronic log of invoices and intuitive filing system. Maintain a filing system that is backed up and easy to use for auditing purposes.
- Complete and maintain staff files as assigned in accordance with HS/DEEC regulations.
- Responsible for record retention and destruction procedures for children’s files.
- Responsible for oversight of facility projects. This includes creating a calendar, tracking and scheduling facility related activities to include: pest management services, equipment maintenance, repairs, and inspections and license renewals. Work with vendors to ensure that work is completed to expectations in accordance with agreement. Maintain a record of all such activities.
- Supervise one full-time Data Entry/Administrative Assistant
- Assist with the onboarding and offboarding of staff to include distribution and collection of Agency-owned equipment, and permissions to ChildPlus database.
- Coordinate Policy Council meetings, create information packages with relevant information, attend the meetings and record minutes. Create Zoom meeting links and calendar events to distribute to Policy Council Members and program staff.
- Act as liaison for voting items and information sharing between Policy Council and the Agency Board of Directors working with the appropriate staff in the Worcester office.
Send cover letter and resume specifying position via email to email@example.com or to the Human Resource Department, Worcester Community Action Council, 484 Main St, #200, Worcester, MA 01608.
Worcester Community Action Council, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, membership in the uniformed services or any other classification which is protected under state or federal law.