WHO WE ARE:
At Shilling Canning Company, a new Mid-Atlantic restaurant by Chef Reid Shilling, our professional management and culinary team, brings experience, skills, and dedication to match those of the front of the house. Each team member shares our belief in the power of respect.
Our service is honest, warm, professional, welcoming, friendly and detail-oriented. Our team smiles because they are happy to cook, and because the quality of our ingredients is pristine and our sourcing and execution is impeccable. There is value in everything we offer and integrity in what we recommend and how we deliver it.
At Shilling Canning Company we focus on local sourcing and careful consideration for how food is prepared, cooked, and served. All proteins are butchered in house, seafood is carefully selected from local fishermen and vendors, soups and sauces are based on the restaurant’s own stocks and artisan bread are baked fresh on-site daily.
The Sous Chef is responsible for providing effective leadership to drive sales and hospitality at the highest level with a focus on techniques and execution of the Chef de Parties, prep cooks and dishwashers.
All aspects of our business will be done by promoting and living our value system, operating under our guiding principles and promises. These include daily operations, profitability, marketing, recruiting and development of their team at all levels.
We’ll expect you to build a team and lead by example while uplifting our staff in our fast-paced, hospitality focused environment.
Ultimately, you will ensure our restaurant runs smoothly, your team is informed, engaged and empowered and guests have pleasant dining experiences.
- Leads kitchen team with the Executive Sous Chef
- Recipe creation through collaborative daily menu meetings with Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef
- Provides guidance to kitchen staff members in all areas of kitchen execution
- Oversees kitchen ordering, receiving and inventory
- Ongoing focus of kitchen cleanliness and organization
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verifies all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance
- Trains and continuously educates new kitchen employees to restaurant and kitchen standards
- Manages food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimizes waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns
- Supervises all food preparation and presentation to ensure quality and restaurant standards
- Works with Executive Sous Chef to maintain kitchen organization, staff ability, and training opportunities
- Verifies that food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed
- Coordinates with the restaurant management team on supply ordering, budget, and kitchen efficiency and staffing
- Educates new and current employees on proper guest service practices
- Establishes relationships with all guests to ensure repeat visits
- Ability to put forth maximum effort on a daily basis while maintaining a positive attitude
- Must exude hospitality, hard work, focus, execution, and friendliness and be able to draw those same traits from your culinary team
- Must have the ability to take direction and be open to continuous education and continually educating your team
- 3-5 years proven work experience as a Sous Chef or higher role
- Extensive food and beverage (F&B) knowledge, with the ability to remember and recall ingredients and dishes to inform guests and educate culinary and service team
- Strong leadership, motivational and people skills
- Culinary financial management skills
- Culinary degree or relevant certifications a plus
Reasons to join our team include:
- Competitive Base Salary plus quarterly bonus opportunity
- Paid Vacation
- Medical, Vision, Dental Insurance
- Shift Meals
Shilling Canning Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year + Bonus (depending on experience)