Abita Brewing Company, located on the Northshore of New Orleans, Louisiana is seeking a full time Safety Compliance Manager. The Safety Compliance Manager is responsible for building employee commitment to a culture of safety in the workplace and ensuring the organization complies with the applicable OSHA, FDA, LADHH and HACCP plan regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Adheres to and advances the “safety first” culture of Abita Brewing Company.
- Provides monthly metrics and statistics reports to executive management regarding incident, accident, OSHA cases/rates as well as claim frequency and severity data.
- Evaluates practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to regulatory, customer and carrier compliance specifications.
- Manages the Safety Program in its entirety and works with Operations to ensure proper safety protocols are in place and adhered to according to company standards. Also, instrumental in updating all policies and procedures as necessary.
- Oversees and manages all safety and compliance audits in regards to safety standards and regulations.
- Ensures strong relationships exists between insurance broker, carrier and Abita Brewing Company. This involves Underwriting, Claims and Loss Control personnel.
- Ensures Abita Brewing Company remains current on safety standards and compliance regulations within the brewing industry.
- Sustains the safety-training program for new hires as well all ongoing safety, management and operational training. Maintain training documentation database and training matrix for all positions.
- Serves as first point of contact with government agencies, inspectors, regulators and insurance brokers/carriers.
- Assists managers with the enforcement of safety rules. Brings non-compliant situations to the attention of leadership and when necessary, advises on the appropriate level of progressive discipline required.
- Coordinates effective safety committee team to include affiliated meetings, action items, responsibilities, etc.
- Performs investigations on any incidents, accidents or near miss situations that occur. Identifies the root cause of the issues and ensures that appropriate corrective actions are taken and documented.
- Provides annual “state of the union” report to executive management on all health, safety and environmental activities, successes and areas for improvement.
- Interacts with Abita Brewing Company’s Human Resources Department and Worker’s Compensation insurance company on all aspects of effective claims management and post injury management practices.
- Coordinates safety activities with contractors and vendors, as appropriate, to ensure that their work meets expectations for safe work practices.
- Manages the Emergency Preparedness Plan and coordinates regular meetings with leadership.
- Inspects and audits facility and equipment on a monthly basis to ensure that any unsafe acts or conditions are identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- Purchases inventories and distributes safety supplies: personal protection equipment, medicine cabinet and First Aid/AED supplies, as well as any additional equipment specific to safety programs or policies.
- Works with leadership to oversee and manage the HACCP plan.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Hours may vary if emergencies arise or for special events (typical work week = 45 hours).
- This position works primarily in an office environment with regular trips throughout the workday in the the Brewery.
- Exposure to loud, moving mechanical equipment, high precarious places, fumes or corrosive chemicals, and hot and cold weather conditions.
- Position requires sitting, standing, bending, stooping, twisting, and lifting products and supplies weighing 45 pounds or greater and repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Work with office equipment such as computers, phones, fax machines and copiers.
This position is responsible for leading, developing and coaching all direct reports. Coordinates adherence to safe work practices with leaders. Works to identify and resolve safety concerns as quickly as possible. Elevates safety issues to the highest leadership levels as necessary, especially if they are not addressed in a timely manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job effectively. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management, Industrial Engineering, or other related field is required. A combination of practical experience and education will be considered as an alternative.
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA, FDA, HACCP plans and LADHH regulations and their application.
- Knowledge of computers (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- An exceptional ability to assess risk and make intelligent recommendations on safety improvements.
- A mindset that an accident free environment is not only possible but is the expectation.
- The ability to engage employees in support of safe work practices.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Applicable safety certifications and qualifications.
- A demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assess priorities effectively.
- Budget management proficiency.
- Must have strong familiarity with the brewing process.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and eligible to work in the United States.
Abita Brewing Company offers a highly competitive salary and benefits.
Abita Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABITA BREWING CO is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled