Experience Character – FAO Schwarz Flagship Store
Our Story so far Founded in 1862, F.A.O Schwarz is one of the oldest and most iconic toy retailers in the world. Frederick August Otto Schwarz dreamed of a marvelous, bountiful emporium full of extraordinary, one-of-a-kind toys from all over the world. His dream became a reality, and as one of America’s oldest brands, we have provided this wonder to families for more than 150 years.
Our Vision is that we passionately curate an ever-evolving World of Wonder brought to life through our extraordinary people, experiences and products to create everlasting memories for all.
We drive quality and innovation, offering one-of-a-kind playthings and creating cherished memories for generations of children. We are more than a toy store. We are a place where toys come to life.
We have mastered the art of showmanship and grand merchandising, and we are pioneers of crafting the concept of in-store experiences which are driving the future of retail today.
Passion - Do what you love and love what you do.
Engaging - Make the first move.
Integrity - Do the right thing, even when no one is looking
Collaborative - Support each other, win as a team
Adaptability - Roll with the Punches!
Driven - Be BOLD and go BEYOND
Accountability - Own it!
The Experience Character will report to the Sales Manager and works closely with the sales lead to drive, execute and deliver FAO Schwarz, exclusive experiences. As a character you will being alive our experiences, you will live and breathe your role while interacting with children and the toys, where you take them on a journey and ensuring engaged and enthralled.
Roles that will be played:
Joey or Jenna- Pit Crew
Craig or Celine – Toy Soldiers
Mark or Maia - Adoption Team
Professor Atlas “The Mad Scientist – Discovery Science Area
Perry or Carol- Musical Maestro
Other Characters and functions may be included based on business needs.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provide exceptional customer service to customers.
- Perform all branded experiences consistently according to FAO Schwarz Standards and Scripts.
- Must be able to improvise.
- Be a confident performer, who can perform in front of large audiences as well as having one on one experiences with the purpose of creating sales.
- Perform in character costumes (Large, bulky, hot costumes for long periods of time).
- Promote a fun, energized and comfortable atmosphere for customers.
- Ability to demonstrate one product for a full shift and reach/exceed unit sales quantity targets
- Acting, dance, and music training/experience
- Actively engaging with customers and attentive to all customer needs.
- Work in all zones in the store to ensure sales floor is in-stock and organized.
- Stock shelves on the salesfloor when needed.
- Support the front end with assisting with cashier transactions and send sales
- Must be able to speak professionally and be professionally silly.
- Must be able to work in an ever-changing environment, exposure to outdoor elements (Cold/humidity/heat).
- Customer service experience in a retail environment
- Previous acting or experience.
- Ability to move and/or lift push and pull over 25 pounds
- A sense of whimsy, a nostalgia for toys, and a fondness for the FAO Schwarz brand
- Excellent collaboration, communication, time management, adaptability, drive for results, influence for impact, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to lead and remain positive, resilient, adaptable, and succeed in a fast paced, public facing retail environment
- Must be able to work, days, nights and weekends.
- A BIG Smile!
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Why You Should Work for Us
- We encourage a sense of whimsy, wonderment, play, and an engaging and theatrical environment
- You’re never treated like a number or task; you’ll look forward to coming to work every day to see your friends
- Growth opportunities are everywhere
FAO Schwarz is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. FAO Schwarz strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, interns, or any other covered persons, on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy, gender identity, and transgender status, gender, physical or mental disability, including gender dysphoria and similar gender-related conditions, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state and local laws, with respect to hiring, promotion, discipline, firing, compensation, benefits, or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, or during the course of your employment, please contact Site Human Resource Manager or Flagship Store Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.