The Head Brewer assists the Brew Master in all operations related to the brewing process. This position will follow standard work methods and practice safe work habits to ensure production is as efficient and safe as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all areas of brewing, cellaring, tank cleaning, filtering and yeast management.
- Responsible for milling, mashing, lautering, wort boiling, and transferring to the fermenter.
- Responsible for transferring beer to serving vessels including, but not limited to, brite tanks, kegs, cans and bottles.
- Maintaining the use of standard operating procedures to ensure the beer is produced consistently, free of defects, true to style and of the highest quality.
- Assist with the procurement of raw materials and other inventory items as it relates to the brewing process.
- Assist Pilot Brewers/Brew Master with recipe development.
- Monitor water quality, gravities, temperatures, and carbonations.
- Stay current with developing beer styles and propose new beer recipes.
- Provide leadership for the brewery staff through education and training.
- Assist QA staff in collecting samples for lab analysis.
- Work with brewery staff to ensure a clean and safe work environment is maintained at all times.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Flexible to work a rotating schedule as business needs arise (typical work week = 45 hours).
- Position requires standing for long periods of time (up to 12 hours), bending, stooping, twisting, and lifting products and materials weighing up to 70 pounds.
- Routine pushing, pulling, reaching, upper body and arm rotation, arm extension, and climbing ladders.
- Very high noise levels in/around bottling line (ear protection required when in that area).
- Exposure to various temperature changes.
- Able to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (ear plugs, gloves, boots, etc.).
Supervision of Others
This position assists the Brew Master in supervising the Brew staff.
- Degree in Brewing Science or Technology is preferred, but not required.
- Brewing experience in a production brewery is preferred.
- Knowledge of safe work operations, safety policies, and procedures.
- Attention to details, ability to recognize when there is a problem.
Abita Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABITA BREWING CO is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled