Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience: Graduate of a four year college with a Bachelor’s degree with seven to ten (7-10) years related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform and essential functions of the job.
Special Requirements: Valid Driver's License. Class B Drivers License and Hoisting Engineers License preferred.
11. Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Knowledge of road repair and maintenance; knowledge of technical terminology, shop and road machinery and a variety of measuring equipment; specialized knowledge, education and on the job training relative to highway operations is required
Abilities: Ability to operate specialized heavy equipment such as large trucks, graders, backhoes, loaders; ability to communicate work assignments and supervise subordinates; ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing; basic computer skills; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and the public; ability to program and schedule activities on a long and short-term basis; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely in oral and written form.
Skill: Skilled in cost estimating for budget purposes. Skilled in public relations, department management and supervision/management of employees.
12. Work Environment: The nature of duties may involve continuous presence of unpleasant or irritating elements, such as considerable noise, odors, chemical fumes, dust, smoke, heat, cold, oil, dirt or grease. Work is continually performed outdoors, regardless of weather conditions. Work generally contains one or more constant elements of stress such as being on call for 24 hours or being under prolonged pressure during emergency situations. Mental stress is usually present in the form of being required to weigh competing and concurrent demands under deadline pressures. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours to attend evening meetings or emergency situations.
13. Occupational Risk: Duties regularly present potential risk of injuries from improper exposure that could result in loss of time from work. Examples of injury include burns from chemicals, steam or fire, severe muscular strains from working with extremely heavy material, falls from heights in excess of three feet and illness from exposure to communicable diseases. Special safety precautions, training, or protective clothing such as gowns, coats, gloves, glasses, hats or boots may be required.
14. Physical and Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Physical Demands: Work requires moderate intermittent physical strength and effort daily, such as, lifting heavy objects of up to 50 lbs. (or more in cases of emergency), carrying the object(s) and stacking them or placing them in a vehicle or storage area. In addition, pulling, pushing, standing, or walking for the full workday may also be involved. A great deal of physical effort must be exerted at this level. Travel, particularly during adverse weather conditions and troublesome road conditions and at times during the evening, is required.
15. Duties may involve close hand and eye coordination and physical dexterity. Manipulation and motor control under conditions that may require extreme accuracy may be critical. The manual skills required are comparable to those which might be needed in operating Class B vehicles.
16. Visual Demands: Visual demands include constantly reading documents for general understanding and for analytical purposes, routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes and with a need for color vision.
Posting open and accepting applications for internal and external candidates on Feb. 21, 2020, open until filled.