PLEA Community Services is currently
seeking a Regular Full-Time Community Support Worker for
our FolkStone-Vancouver team. The proposed start date for this position is as soon as possible. This position requires BCGEU membership.
The Community Support Worker assists
clients with their physical, economic, vocational, recreational, social,
emotional and daily life skills development. The Community Support Worker
assists clients to achieve the greatest degree of independence and quality of
Please submit a resume and cover
letter referencing the competition number 2022024CSW4.R. If the
position is not filled internally, it will remain open until filled.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in assessment, goal setting and
program planning such as service plans for individuals. Documents and
implements the plan. Provides input into the evaluation of the program.
- Evaluates client needs and develops short term
plans to meet such needs with the active participation of clients and
- Assists clients to function more independently
in their own homes and in the community. Assists clients with daily life
skills, social skills and/or behaviour management. Teaches and assists
clients with activities such as grooming, basic cooking, money management,
shopping, household safety, pet care. Facilitates physical, recreational,
educational, social and vocational activities.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential
emergency situations such as clients’ aggressive behaviour to minimize
potential harm to the clients and/or the public. Reports problems to their
- Assists the clients in self-administering
medication in accordance with established policy.
- Ensures health and safety standards are
- Reviews and evaluates clients’ progress and
makes adjustments to programs as required. Provides feedback and support
to clients and/or their families.
- Accompanies and/or transports clients to
activities such as appointments, shopping or leisure activities.
- Provides written and/or verbal reports
regarding clients’ daily activities and progress. Ensures that all
required documentation is complete and accurate.
- Identifies social, economic, recreational,
physical, vocational and educational services in the community that will
meet clients’ needs. Maintains liaison with other agencies, professionals,
government officials and the community.
- Protects and upholds confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective communication skills, including the
ability to write accurate notes.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the
demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with clients, Family
Caregivers, internal staff, professionals and families.
- Demonstrated ability to encourage adults to
participate in community activities and follow client service plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently,
take initiative, make sound decisions and be held accountable for results.
- Demonstrated ability to be sensitive and
understanding of individuals’ social realities including issues of race,
culture, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, poverty
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends
related to the program.
Education and Knowledge
- Two-year diploma in a related human/social
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, database
systems and web-based conferencing tools.
Training and Experience
- One (1) year of recent, related experience.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- Must possess a valid Occupational First Aid Level
1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- Use of Personal Vehicle. This position
requires travel in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.
- A valid B.C. Driver's License (Class 5 or
Class 7), and suitable driver's abstract.
- The usual hours of work in
this position are Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00PM, based on 37.5
working hours per week.
- Documentation that the applicant is
legally approved to work in Canada.
- As a Public Service employer and to meet our
funding obligations, PLEA requires successful applicants to be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date.
conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including
education, training, work history, and licensure.
We thank all applicants for their
interest; however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.