Recreation Camp Counselor (Approximately end of June – first week in August, with possibility of May – October)
Shift Generally 4 -5 days per week includes weekends and holidays. Part-time work is also available. Must be 18 years old.
Summary The lead Recreation Counselor provides creative programming for youth while maintaining a safe, fun atmosphere at Chautauqua. Proven experience leading games and crafts required.
Pay rate: TBD based on experience.
- Successful completion of the criminal background checks with no felony convictions as recommended by the NC Department of Child Services.
- Strong work ethics, integrity, dependability, positive attitude, and a team player.
- Experience working with children in a recreation setting
- Strong motivation to keep the facility clean and looking great all the times.
- Willingness and ability to learn new recreation skills through continuing education.
- Excellent customer relation skills, public relations skills, and recreation experience.
- High school diploma or GED; college recreation courses or degree preferred. Will consider high school student with the right qualities.
- Ability to climb stairs, move briskly through-out work environment, lift 30 pounds and work for extended time periods on your feet.
- Basic Red Cross CPR and 1st aid certification or ability to obtain.
- Ability to work nights weekends and holidays and have flexibility in scheduling
- Computer experience, ability to work make sales, run accounting point of sales reports, and assist with accounting procedures is desired.
- Daily opening and closing, youth camp and office procedures in a timely, cheerful, and thorough manner.
- Working with children, including keeping their safety in mind at all times and being attentive to the children in your care. You must know exactly where they are at all times. You must constantly be surveying the surrounding for potential hazards and avoid them and be able to physically keep up with the children. Must be able to entertain children with no advanced notice.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Stand and greet people when they come into the building. Keep conversations positive and relevant to work.
- Maintain, repair, and clean recreation facilities and equipment, especially in the Chautauqua and game room. Generate enthusiasm for the Club’s diverse social and recreational programs and special events.
- Remain informed and up-to-date on all Mountain Air programs.
- Practice active listening to adults and children. Ensure that all club members and guests receive courteous, prompt and professional attention.
- Ability to work alone without direct supervision and do not be idle on the job.
- Wear name tag and represent the Recreation Department and Mountain Air in a professional and courteous manner.