The Canadian Environmental Accreditation Commission is dedicated to environmental education and ensures that post-secondary programs reflect a culture of continual quality enhancement.
ECO Canada invites interested academic or industry experts to apply for this volunteer position. Site Reviewers will participate in accreditation site visits, conduct a thorough assessment using the National Accreditation Standard for Post-Secondary Environmental Programs (NAS), and recommend post-secondary environmental programs for national accreditation to the CEAC. Site Reviewers are volunteers and get paid for travel costs, accommodation, meals, and incidentals for each site visit.
ECO Canada Qualification Criteria
Site Reviewers must possess the following qualifications:
- Must reflect both ECO Canada’s and the CEAC’s national perspective of accreditation and its collaborative practice approach
- Demonstrate interest in improving environmental education
- Have formal education with recognized distinction in the area of study
- Possess a degree appropriate in or related to the environmental field
- Have experience with accreditation, auditing, and/or quality improvement processes
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the environmental field (industry and/or academia)
- Senior leadership role is preferred
- Retired professionals are eligible
- Fluency in French is an asset
Candidates will be contacted based on their area of specialization. Ideal volunteer candidates must self-identify as an:
a) Academic Expert:
- Possess a proficient understanding of post-secondary institution program requirements, as well as the capacity to effectively evaluate an institution’s ability to deliver an environmental program.
- Hold a position as an authority of an environmental program: Dean, Director, Department Head, and/or Faculty member of a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution.
b) Industry Experts:
- Possess expertise relating to the environmental field to ensure that graduates will obtain an education that adequately prepares them to as successful environmental professionals.
- A practicing environmental professional; must possess relevant experience in the last 10 years.
- Must have experience with Management System Standards and familiarity with auditing guidelines.
Site Reviewer Benefits
Successful candidates and their representative organizations that complete the preparatory training, program assessment, and recommendation report phases to accredit environmental programs will receive:
a) An opportunity to be a part of an accreditation program that will benefit environmental education programs, students, and the environmental sector.
b) An opportunity to exchange ideas, experiences, and information with peers who share expertise and interest in human resource issues impacting the environmental sector.
c) Experience and information about accreditation to benefit and enhance their own program.
d) Professional development credits, applicable towards their annual maintenance requirements for EP designation or respective association.
e) The opportunity to explore other areas of Canada and to visit Canadian post-secondary institutions while all travel costs are covered.
f) Recognition on ECO Canada’s website and any relevant publications.
Candidates are selected based on qualifications and eligibility requirements. Academic and industry experts who wish to volunteer for the position of Site Reviewer can submit their application online: https://forms.office.com/r/wvSCE1EuuV and send their current CV to email@example.com. Applications are accepted throughout the year and candidates will be contacted as accreditation site visit opportunities come up.
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.