SUMMARY: Full-time Opportunity
Reporting to Club Director, the Best Buy Teen Tech Center Coordinator runs an innovative program called The Best Buy Teen Tech Center at the Jim and Barbara Morefield Club. The Tech Center, established with the support of The Clubhouse Network, offers young people (ages 10-18) from inner-city neighborhoods the opportunity to work on projects they find meaningful to their lives, using computers and technology. The program provides support and resources for young people to pursue their interests and build upon their talents. In the Teen Center, youth can design their own music, art, newsletters, robots, science simulations, computer games, and animation.
ESSENTIAL JOB ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential job activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Provide community outreach to involve a diverse group of young people, parents, teachers and community leaders in the Clubhouse program.
- Help Teen Tech Center members develop projects (e.g., help them come up with ideas, gather materials, get started, locate members to work with them and support their on-going work.)
- Recruit, train and support volunteer mentors, ensuring they work effectively with youth.
- Work closely with the local Best Buy store to recruit Geek Squad Agents and Blue Shirt volunteers.
- Support youth in planning for the future, including pursuing academic and job responsibilities that leverage their Teen Tech Center skills and experience.
- Provide basic computer maintenance, including file management, troubleshooting and technical support to Teen Tech Center youth and mentors.
- Provide administrative support for the Clubhouse Program, including keeping records of participants and keeping the Tech Center space organized.
- Work with grants taskforce to provide semi-annual reports to the funder
- Assist BGCGH in fundraising and publicity for the Best Buy Tech Center, communicating the Clubhouse learning philosophy, goals and results to external sources
- Support other programs and activities for the BGCGH by providing Teen Center expertise and resources as time permits
- Leverage Best Buy National Partner relationships to expose members to skill development and media training
- Travel to the annual conference, Teen Summit, and other events as part of the Clubhouse Network
- Hire, train, and manage Assistant Coordinator
- Some travel is required
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Proven track record working with youth, in particular, young people from underserved neighborhoods; work experience within an informal/non-traditional learning environment
- Have experience working with computers and interest in technology as a creative and empowering tool
- Must have excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Must have outstanding teamwork, interpersonal relationship, and active listening skills
- Must have good organizational and time management skills
- Able to set priorities and organize daily workload to meet deadlines, program goals, and requirements
- Be highly organized, with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to effectively process multiple projects at a time without sacrificing the quality of work
- Demonstrate flexibility when new assignments or changes are introduced
- Able to work independently but also function effectively as part of a team
- Able to follow directions and work well with others
- Be a collaborative problem solver
- Able to take initiative and requires minimal supervision
- Able to exercise good judgment, discretion, and confidentiality when interacting with clients
- Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal background check
HOURS AND BENEFITS: Full-time salaried position, occasional weekends and evening hours will be required. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, paid time off and a 401(k) pension plan.
DISCLAIMER: The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER HOUSTON INC. is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled