Pastry Sous Chef
Black Point Inn Scarborough, Maine $16.00 to $20.00 per hour
Work and play on the ocean at our beautiful New England, boutique hotel, Black Point Inn! A historic property surrounded by beautiful ocean landscapes.
Be a part of our lively, face paced, from scratch bakeshop producing specialty cakes, working on wedding cakes, catering events and dessert menu production for the restaurant. Do you love to work independently with the opportunity for artistic license to design daily feature desserts, ice creams, sorbets and seasonal menu changes for our casual and fine dining restaurants? Take comfort in your set schedule that can be made flexible if needed with 2 days off in a row! Take advantage of discounts at all of our Migis Hotel Group properties and restaurants.
Black Point Inn is seasonal and open May-October. Working at Black Point Inn is a great resume builder where you will gain experience in buffet design, wedding cakes & specialty cakes, catering/banquet events, casual dining & fine dining restaurant composed desserts, and menu planning. Housing opportunities available.
2 years of relative experience in bakery, fine dining restaurant, hotel or similar type business preferred, but not limited to.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Ensure that all product is available for respective meals as well as proper forecasting of prep needs for assigned station.
· Read recipes, measure, execute, and plate food products including breakfast pastries, breads, desserts and other baked items meeting the standards of the Executive Chef, Pastry Chef, Hotel Management and our guests. Ensure that food production is coordinated with meal hours so that quality, temperature, and appearance of food are preserved.
· Assist Pastry Chef in controlling food and labor costs
· Assist Pastry Chef with receiving, stocking (first in-first out), and inventory of all pastry shop items
· Provide oversight, supervision and coaching in the Pastry Shop in the absence of the Pastry Chef
· Ability to safely operate kitchen equipment including, but not limited to, ovens, stoves, dishwashers, mixers, chef’s knives, baking and measuring tools/equipment/appliances, etc.
· Handle and communicate special orders and guest complaints in a professional manner. Have a basic understanding of common food allergies and cross contamination issues to ensure diner safety.
· Maintain food safety, work station and personal cleanliness and sanitations standards as required by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services and OSHA, as well as general maintenance and upkeep of kitchen equipment.
· Know who to notify in case of broken equipment or unsafe/unsanitary conditions.
· Must be able to manually handle/lift product up to 60 pounds between knee and chest
· Must have bilateral fine manipulation of both hands which may be repetitive for entire shift
· Must be vertically mobile working in limited space for entire shift
· Protect the assets of this property and the Migis Hotel Group.
· Must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
· Previous experience with baking/pastry work in a similar property, culinary school or completion of apprenticeship program preferred, or proven experience in higher volume and/or fine dining kitchens.
· Ability to communicate in English, both orally and written, with guests and employees, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy.
· Ability to understand verbal directions, as well as written menus, recipes, labels on foods and chemicals, and other workplace safety signage.
· Knowledge of common food allergies and understanding of cross-contamination issues
· Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
· Frequent walking, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, lifting, manual dexterity and repetitive motions. May require the ability to work on uneven outdoor surfaces.
· Occasional stair climbing.
· Working in extreme temperatures and conditions both indoors and out.
· Schedule varies according to operational needs; may includes early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
· Frequent hand-washing
· Hazards include, but are not limited to cuts from knives and slicers, burns, slips, and tripping.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required or personnel so classified. All persons may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Black Point Inn is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled