There’s a side of Big Sky, Montana that speaks to those seeking something special. A vast 8,000 acre landscape where stunning natural beauty and an endless array of alpine adventures blend together to create a private club and mountain living experience like no other.
Whether it’s winter or summer, Moonlight Basin is something you won’t soon forget. The mountain scenery, the direct access to some of the finest skiing at Big Sky Resort, the hiking, the golf and so much more all add up to the perfect place to work and enjoy Montana.
Moonlight Basin is located right in the middle of the best things to see and do in Montana. You can visit Yellowstone National Park. Explore the national forest and wilderness lands. Come down to the town of Big Sky and shop, eat, and catch some music. Bozeman is a short drive and easily accessible by Skyline Bus.
Activities Guide is a Moonlight Outfitters position requiring extensive outdoor activity teaching and facilitation experience and the personality and ability to relate to and build trust with Moonlight Basin members, families, and guests in a safe and fun learning environment. Activities guides facilitate member activities such as archery, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, stand up paddle boarding, YNP Tours, high ropes course, and sporting clays. Safety and fun within a unique outdoor experience are the ultimate goals of the Moonlight Outfitters.
- Plan, organize, and provide safe, fun, and professional instruction/guiding within the guidelines of the Moonlight Outfitters.
- Certifications/ Training
- Wilderness First Aid.
- CPR Certification.
- Report to morning meetings on time with a professional attitude and appearance.
· Meet and greet clients on time with a professional attitude and appearance.
· Facilitate and lead outdoor activities in group and private settings.
· Assess member/guest skills and tailor session appropriately for ability, goals, and environmental conditions.
· Interact comfortably and seamlessly with an affluent group of members and their guests.
· Determine meeting times and places for lunch and end of session, within club guidelines.
· Determine client’s needs for the day and work towards exceeding those expectations.
- Conduct lessons and guiding with safety as the first priority in a mountain environment.
- Assist in booking/ scheduling future guided activities.
- Maintain rental equipment, tune bikes, keep yurt area neat and clean.
- Serve members and guests beer, wine, and snacks from yurt bar.
- Assist with paddles and life jackets for use on lake. Maintain beach area.
- Sign out for days’ activities and determine the next day’s schedule with Supervisor or Director.
- Communicate all concerns, questions, and scheduling issues with Director/Supervisor.
- Carry charged cell phone and radio at all times to be in communication with supervisors.
- Participate in all required training and educational clinics.
- Read and understand all safety policies and guidelines. Ask supervisor/ director for clarification on any policy you may not understand.
- Attend all safety training meetings and clinics. Maintain current knowledge of all safety procedures.
- All Outfitter employees must represent their profession and department in a professional manner at all times to members, guests, coworkers, and other departments.
· Assist in special events.
- Operate Machinery, Chain saws, and small engine equipment.
- Ability to clearly communicate with managers, supervisors, and colleagues. Clearly communicate with clients to produce a great product and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Resourcefulness, good judgment, and self-confidence.
- Summer and winter mountain hazards and ways to minimize risks for yourself and your clients.
- Familiarity with flora and fauna, geography, and geology of SW Montana.
· Experience guiding or facilitating client-based winter and summer recreational programs in terrain similar to that found in SW Montana.
- Ability Moonlight Basin emergency and incident procedures.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to identify and solve problems quickly.
- The desire and ability to work in a cooperative, team-oriented atmosphere.
· High School diploma and/or equivalent education.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Similar combination of education and experience
- Ability to stand, sit, walk, hike, bike, for six to ten hours a day as required.
- Ability to use various tools and equipment as required.
- Work outside in all temperatures and conditions six to ten hours a day as required.
- Bend at the waist, twist upper body, kneel, crawl, climb, reach above shoulders, flex and extend ankle, knee, and hip joints.
- Lift and carry up to 75 lbs., push and pull 10-20 lbs.
- Ability to work as many as 14 days consecutively during peak periods.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of this position and should not serve as an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all the possible duties, tasks and responsibilities for this specific job. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of this position might differ from those outlined above and other duties may be assigned as necessary.