The Truck Driver Assistant for Liberty Thrift & Home Furnishings is there to support the truck driver in whatever capacity needed. They will be involved in the daily trucking operation but they are under the direct authority of the truck driver. The assistant will have a lot of customer interaction and needs to be polite and personable. When not on the truck, the driver assistant is required to work at one of the store locations in whatever capacity needed until other obligations take priority. This is a very physical, hands-on and labor-intensive position.
PRINCIPLE JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The truck assistant needs to help the driver locate the next stop and assist with directions.
- They may need to talk on the phone for the driver (if needed) to customers as well as Regional Manager(s) or Store Manager(s).
- The driver assistant needs to represent Liberty Thrift as well as Liberty Ministries in a positive manner. This includes assuring a customer-friendly, Christian environment, and when opportunities arise, explaining the Ministry to customers, volunteers, donors, etc.
- The Truck Driver Assistant must yield to the driver’s authority as to what is placed on the truck and what he will accept from the customers on a pick-up. The assistant should help with being selective on donations in order to follow Liberty Thrift standards. This is a team effort.
- Must be in communication with the driver as to what is being placed on the truck.
- Must show initiative at the stores. This means that if there is some down time, the assistant must help in any capacity needed. Processing donations is what happens in between pick-ups and deliveries.
- If anything happens to the truck and the driver does not know about it, it must be communicated to him so that he may report it to the Regional Manager of the Thrift Center.
- The driver’s assistant helps to make sure the trucks are packed tightly using the least amount of space all the while protecting the merchandise.
- Must be in good physical health to be able to lift and carry furniture on and off the truck as well as into a home owner’s home and the thrift stores.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, stretch, kneel, push, and pull. Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Must also be respectful of people’s homes and the things they are donating.
- Must be friendly, personable and customer service focused with good discernment on proper customer interaction. It should be reflective of Liberty Ministries.
- Must understand and be able to operate store equipment such as baler, hand-truck, dollies, pallet jack, containers, track lift gates, tape dispenser, fumigation sprayer, tagger and locks on bins.
- Must be neat in appearance and practice good hygiene.
- Must be conscious of safe practices on and off the trucks.
- Teamwork oriented.
- Strong communication skills with customers, donors, management and truck driver.
- Must be supportive of working for a Christian Ministry, accepting the Mission Statements of Liberty Thrift and Liberty Ministries.
- Must follow Liberty Thrift policy and procedures and support working as a team.
- Must take direction well and show initiative.
- Must be able to work outside in all climates.
- Must be willing and able to function in many capacities as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
Furniture moving experience recommended.
Liberty Ministries is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled