ABOUT THE LINK: YOUTH AND FAMILY SUPPORTS
For more than 90 years, The Link (formally known as Macdonald Youth Services) has helped youth and families on a journey to healing, hope and better lives. The organization is dedicated to walking alongside children, youth and families as an inclusive community, strengthening and empowering a sense of being, pride and purpose. With over 15 diverse programs, The Link has a community of caring staff that work together to provide support through a 24-hour crisis line, youth resource centers, emergency shelters, mobile crisis teams, specialized foster care, healing homes, job readiness supports and Skills4Life. With a strong foundation within the community and a focus on connection, unity and compassion, the organization provides a vital link for youth and families in the province of Manitoba.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Medical Clerk provides a range of client service and team support services as part of the multidisciplinary, integrated primary care team. Reporting to the Manager of Administration and Payroll, the Medical Clerk is primarily responsible for assisting the Nurse Practitioner and other health care staff to create an organized and efficient client service environment where clients’ needs and interests come first and all are treated with dignity and respect.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to a welcoming, respectful, and accessible environment for all clients and members of the public
- Respond to client needs when they present in person or by telephone
- Schedule and follow up on client appointments
- Provide service navigation and referrals as required
- Maintain client service areas and equipment
- Complete record keeping and record management responsibilities
- Assist with procedures / exams based on direction from the Nurse Practitioner/other clinical staff
- Clean and reset equipment/furniture after each client visit to ensure infection control measures are maintained.
- Weekly monitoring and restocking of clinic supplies
- Provide competent services to The Link clients in accordance with required standards, legal requirements, evidence-informed practices and The Link policies
- Assist patients to navigate in and around clinic areas
- Provide light physical assistance to clients
- Maintain work-related skills through education, training, or other means
- Treat all clients, family members and members of the public with respect and dignity in accordance with The Link’s vision, mission, values and philosophies
Teamwork And Collaboration
- Communicate effectively, honestly and respectfully within the team and with other staff members
- Avoid making assumptions about others and deal with disagreement and conflict constructively and per the organization’s policies
- Support the success of other team members by sharing experience, knowledge and best practices
- Help create an environment in which different ideas are valued and all members of the team are encouraged to participate
Quality And Innovation
- Contribute suggestions and ideas to improve the service quality and enhance outcomes for clients
- Prepare and submit accurate statistics and other program/service information as required
- Report incidents, near misses and other areas of potential risk and contribute suggestions for mitigating/learning from these situations
- Participate in, and contribute to, the development of annual quality plans and work with the team to achieve quality goals
- Notice and point out gaps in service and opportunities for significant program developments or improvements that will meet emerging needs in the community
- Act at all times in accordance with The Link’s mission, vision, values and philosophies and maintain compliance with all applicable standards, legal requirements and The Link policies
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Graduate from a recognized medical assistant training program, such as Clinic Office Assistance, Health Care Aide and/or Medical Records Technician.
- Proven knowledge of medical terminology.
- Training and experience in recording vital signs and assisting practitioners in medical examinations.
- Experience with Accuro.
- Completion of PHIA training.
Skills, Expertise and Experience
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the position; including the ability to accompany and physically support clients around the clinic.
- Demonstrated ability to be empathetic and compassionate.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Proven interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Crisis intervention, harm reduction and conflict resolution skills.
Focus on Results
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and focus work-related activities to achieve goals and produce expected results/outcomes effectively and efficiently.
- Strong organization, time management, problem solving skills as well as excellent communication and documentation skills.
Alignment with Organizational Values
Commitment to the principles that guide The Link, as reflected in the history, vision, mission and values.
Commitment to Truth and Reconciliation and The Link Philosophies
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures and traditions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of colonization on the health and well-being of Indigenous individuals and families.
- Knowledge and understanding of current factors that affect the health and well-being of Indigenous individuals and families.
- Knowledge and commitment to apply diversity, equity, cultural safety, social determinants of health, population health, harm reduction, trauma-informed and community development principles in all aspects of work.
Teamwork & Communication
- Proven ability to work with an interdisciplinary team with respect, professionalism, cooperation, sensitivity and cultural awareness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in the use of computer systems, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Other Essential Requirements
- Valid Manitoba driver’s license is considered an asset with acceptable driver’s abstract.
- Certified in Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, clear Child Abuse Registry Check with acceptable Prior Contact Check outcomes and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check; all completed within three months of interview date.
- Ability to perform independently, take initiative, and as a member of the team.
The Link is committed to the health and safety of its employees, people we serve, stakeholders, and the community. The Link requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner that is approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment. (Accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, appropriate supporting documentation will be required.)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 13, 2023
WORK LOCATION: Winnipeg
WORK HOURS: Full -Time 70 hours bi-weekly Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m.
HOURLY WAGE: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour - Depending on qualifications. The Link offers a benefit package and on-site parking.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF). Applicants must demonstrate in their resume and cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position.
The Link is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Link is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce and will facilitate accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you require an accommodation, please make a note in your covering letter and, if you are selected for an interview, we will connect with you to learn more about your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit https://thelinkmb.easyapply.co/
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position