Maintains a safe Martial Arts environment for all participants. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community. This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Hours: 5-20 hours a week at $12-$15 an hour.
- Ensure the health, safety and well being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Design and facilitate martial arts instruction and activities for children in grades K –8th
- Maintain accurate program documentation
- Develop a curriculum and lesson planning for all ages.
- Maintain required tracking, attendance, and paperwork.
- Instruct youth and teens about all aspects of the sport.
- Responsible for the use and proper storage of all equipment.
- Communicate with supervisor any challenges or issues regarding program participants and facilities.
- Prepare the learning environment and necessary equipment
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events
- Other duties as assigned.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; some college preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in martial arts instruction to children.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Strong verbal communication skills
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled