This position assists with the maintenance of the District natural areas, volunteer programs, and native plant nursery in concert with the restoration of forests, prairies, wetlands, and plant communities in order to support and uphold the District's Mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform maintenance and management of natural communities
- Perform maintenance of the District’s natural areas by removal of exotic and invasive species
- Perform annual maintenance, and assist with daily operation of the District’s Native Plant Nursery
- Manually and mechanically harvest, clean, sort, and disperse native seed
- Perform handling, mixing, and applying of pesticides using various spray equipment and protective apparel
- Perform pest control program activities for the management of invasive species, which utilize various herbicides (application rates, timing), mechanical control (mowing, hand cutting), biological control, and prescription fire
- Perform minor maintenance on mechanical, and/or hand equipment
- Lead prescribed fire crew as a Crew Leader in charge of 3 to 6 crewmembers
- Lead field crews in the collection of native plant seed, control of exotic species, installation of plant plugs and/or trees
- Operate equipment such as: tractors equipped with forestry mulcher or rotary cutter; skid steer/rubber tracked loader equipped with a bucket, grapple bucket; front end loader/backhoe
- May participate in ecological management programs including a sampling of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems
- May oversee seasonal staff and oversee the work of consultants and contractors
- May participate in deer management program and aerial deer census including overnight responsibilities
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required
Education: BS/BA in Forestry, Resource Management, Biological Science, or related field.
Related Experience: Three (3) years of experience in the natural resource field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Special training or other license, certification, etc.: Ability to obtain a Illinois Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tanker, combination vehicle, and airbrakes endorsement within six (6) months of employment, Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide Operator's License, Midwest Ecological Prescribed Burn Certification or Equivalent, National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) I-100, S-130, S-190, S-290 Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior First Aid CPR AED certification
Skills In: Working independently and fulfilling tasks with attention to detail. Ability to operate line trimmers, hand tools, and heavy equipment. Ability to identify native (including endangered and threatened) and non-native plant species and have an understanding of their respective ecosystems and management techniques.
Onboarding/Training Requirements: Criminal Background Check
DOT Drug Screen
Driver’s License Check
HBV Series/Hepatitis B (Candidate can refuse)
Hearing Audio Baseline
National Sex Offender Registry Check
CPR/1st Aid Training
Hours & Schedule: 6:45AM-3:15PM, Monday - Friday
Comments: Uniforms provided, safety boot allowance. This position is a full-time position – funding available for an approximate 3 years. If the term is not extended, employment shall end and benefits and status may be affected.
Working Environment: Work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Equal Employment Policy: As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County complies with Federal, State, and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. The Forest Preserve District makes all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sex (wages), genetics, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, retaliation, or other unlawful considerations.
*Applications must be filled out to their entirety, including the electronic signature, to be considered for this position. Resumes may be included but are not accepted in lieu of the application.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County RP089 is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled