The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is one of the leading arts institutions in the region. The Museum presents a dynamic range of exhibitions organized from prestigious museums and collections throughout the world. The Museum’s own diverse collection features highlights from North America, Europe, and Asia, with particular strengths in American art and postwar abstraction. The permanent collection also boasts one of the world’s largest public collections of Dale Chihuly glass, a major collection of photography by Brett Weston, and the definitive museum collection of works by the Washington Color painter Paul Reed. The Museum’s renowned Samuel Roberts Noble Theater screens the finest international, independent, documentary, and classic films. Museum amenities include the Museum Store and the Roof Terrace. The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is a member of the Association of Art Museum Directors. The Museum serves over 125,000 visitors annually from all fifty states and thirty foreign countries.
Oklahoma City Museum of Art is seeking a Manager of Youth and Community Learning to support the Museum mission by developing, facilitating, and evaluating the programs for youth audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop K-12 student programs for special exhibitions and the permanent collection: design the concepts, content, and mechanics of student tours. Ensure alignment to K-12 school curriculum frameworks and needs of students.
- In collaboration with members of the Learning Team, develop pre and post visit materials for teachers and students for the permanent collection and special exhibitions.
- Develop programs to maintain and grow relationships with Oklahoma schools and teachers, including but not limited to teacher professional development opportunities, a teacher advisory committee, and a teacher newsletter.
- Design and pilot a new Multi-Visit program in collaboration with members of the Learning Team.
- Work with members of the Learning Team to develop assessments for tour content and the tour guides to ensure the program is meeting the needs of schools and teachers.
- Participate in development of a communications strategy for all youth programs.
- Work with Learning Team to develop gallery resources and programs for young visitors around special exhibitions and the permanent collection.
- Manage Summer Library Program.
- Manage monthly Drop-In-Art Program.
- Train paid educators and docents on school tour content as needed.
- Lead on-site and virtual field trips as needed.
- Keep current with Museum Education Pedagogy and present at conferences and network with museum education and non-profit educational professionals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Qualified candidates will have an MA degree in Museum Education, Museum Studies, Art Education, Art History, or History with and 2-3 years’ experience working in a museum or similar cultural organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of art history, and knowledge and understanding of current practices in art education, museum work, and theories of education and learning.
- Excellent teaching and presentation skills and able to communicate with diverse audiences, including students, educators, museum staff, and community leaders.
- Experience as a gallery educator and/or giving public presentations
- Experience in Visual Thinking Strategies
- Knowledge of national education standards
- Salary range for this position is $40,000 to $43,000
- Health & Welfare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life and AD&D)
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off (vacation, holiday, and sick)
Please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking the “APPLY NOW” button.
Oklahoma City Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer