Reports To: Director of Recreation and Wellness or Recreation Manager
Salary: $16 – $17.75/hour, commensurate with experience
Position Summary: The Lifeguard is responsible for ensuring safety of Lakeside Chautauqua guests at the Grindley Aquatics and Wellness Campus. Additionally, the Lifeguard is responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of all aquatic facilities and grounds as well as executing special events.
About Lakeside Chautauqua: Lakeside Chautauqua is a family destination that has pioneered the act of nurturing mind, body and spirit for 150 years. Conveniently located between Toledo and Cleveland on Lake Erie’s south shore, Lakeside offers a robust summer programming season packed with cultural, educational, spiritual and recreational opportunities. Within the one-square-mile community, you’ll find hundreds of unique Victorian cottages, a concert auditorium, arts center, historic waterfront hotel, movie theater, pool, tennis, sailing, shopping, dining and much more. Join our team this year to help Lakeside celebrate its 150th Anniversary. For more information, visit lakesideohio.com/employment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Serve as a member of the lifeguarding staff
· Must complete a minimum of 2 hours in safety training and rescue drills every 30 days, swim 300 yards weekly, and maintain all lifeguard standards
· Maintain and inventory all safety and lifeguard equipment and supplies
· Enforce pool and swimming rules, keep track of each swimmer in the water, and administer first aid to injured swimmers as needed
· Identify and report defects throughout the pool and Wellness Center, notify supervisors and concerned departments immediately of hazards, injuries, equipment, or processes that negatively affect the operations
· Assist with opening and closing duties of the Aquatics Campus
· Assist with daily/regular cleaning and maintenance of all Aquatic areas and surrounding campus grounds
· Work alongside security, maintenance, and lifeguard staff to ensure the facilities are safe for patron use
· Assist facilities and grounds staff in maintaining, plants, flower beds throughout the campus.
· Demonstrates knowledge of Emergency Action Plan
· Provide a safe atmosphere for all guests and employees at the pool
· Ensure customer relations and satisfaction are of highest priority with all staff
· Aid pool supervisor and head guard in implementing facility safety checks
· If not occupied with Lifeguarding duties, clean and tidy up the pool area
· Provide a warm and welcoming environment to all patrons using Aquatic facilities
· May assist with aquatics programs such as swim lessons, log rolling classes, etc.
· Oversee that all Lakeside Chautauqua rules and regulations are followed
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor or head guard
· Must be American Red Cross Lifeguard Certified
· At least 16 years of age
· Certified in Basic Life Saving (CPR/First Aid/AED)
· High School student or graduate with 2-3 years related experience or training preferred, but not required.
How to Apply:
· Please submit Lifeguard Training Certificate of Completion.
Lakeside Chautauqua is an equal opportunity employer.
Environment & Physical Demands:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees of the operation or residents and guests of the property.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems d deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, climb or balance. Specific vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus are required. Must be able to lift heavy equipment and material up to 50 pounds with assistance. Must be able to climb ladders. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet, cold, humid, hot, very hot, conditions and will be required to work outdoors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.