Are your client services skills top-notch? Are you looking for a great workplace close to restaurants and shopping where the work you do makes a real difference in your community? And do you want a workplace that not only respects, but encourages, a healthy work-life balance? If so, the Washington County CDA would welcome your application to join us as a Rental Assistance Specialist at our office in Woodbury. You can learn more about our agency at www.washingtoncountycda.org.
What you’ll be doing…
As a client manager for our rental assistance programs. you'll be helping to ensure that economically vulnerable populations - seniors, low-income individuals and working families, and those with disabilities - have safe and secure places to live. You'll be responsible for enforcing rules that are sometimes complex, and explaining those rules to program participants and landlords in ways that they can understand. There's also a lot of math, as you'll need to ensure that clients continue to meet income and other requirements to participate in our programs. We won't lie - not all clients are easy to work with, and some days are definitely challenging. But if you talked to our staff, you'd hear about how rewarding it is to help provide such a basic need - a safe place to call home - to people who without you, might struggle to find it and keep it.
What we’re looking for…
The Washington County CDA is looking for a master multi-tasker with a can-do, customer-focused attitude. You are analytical and have a sharp mind for numbers and problem-solving, but are also empathetic and able to work with people who are often under a good deal of stress. Those are must-haves. And ideally, you’ll also possess many (or all!) of the following traits:
- A bachelor's degree in social work, housing, or human services, and 1-3 years of previous experience managing clients or housing programs. But...
- Much of the knowledge needed to do a job like this can only be learned on the job. Our rental assistance specialists are an amazing team, and all come from very different backgrounds. If you are passionate about helping people but have a bit of a non-traditional background, don't let that stop you from applying. We care more that you can do a great job and are a great fit for our office.
- You're good with details, and are able to see how complex things fit together. Housing programs have a lot of rules, and you'll need to understand how they work together and be able to explain that to others in ways they can understand.
- You like math. We don't need you to do calculus, but we do need someone who has a high attention to detail, is meticulous, and is good at catching their own mistakes. The math we do has a very real impact on people's lives - it's important for us to get it right.
- You have experience working with diverse populations. Your clients will come from many different religious and ethnic backgrounds, and not all will speak English as their first language. It's a bonus if you've worked with these populations before in a professional or volunteer environment.
- You have a genuine desire to meet the needs of others – whether those others are co-workers or members of the public.
What We Can Offer You…
- An initial hiring range of $25.37-28.54 (hourly) based on experience, with a current maximum rate of $35.79
- 11 paid holidays
- Four weeks of PTO each year (to start), plus an opportunity to earn 12 additional hours each year through our employee wellness program
- Generous health and dental insurance offerings, starting at $10 per month for health and less than a dollar per month for dental
- Employer-paid short and long-term disability insurance
- An 11% employer contribution to your deferred compensation retirement account that, unlike many public sector agencies, comes with no vesting requirements. The money is 100% yours the moment it is deposited.
- A friendly working environment with great colleagues who are committed to making a difference in the community
- A fantastic work location just off the interstate in Woodbury, close to shopping, restaurants, and great recreation opportunities in Washington County
- If you’re interested, apply sooner rather than later! Be sure to attach a resume. Cover letters are optional, but can provide depth to your application. And yes, we will read them!
- We will begin reviewing resumes and inviting people for interviews approximately two weeks after the job has been posted. We will review applications on a rolling basis after that. If you can still see this ad, we’re still accepting applications.
- If you’re selected for an interview, you’ll come out to our office in Woodbury to meet with some of our team and perform a work-related, skills-based exercise. Some people have said the exercise was fun! Nobody has run out of the office screaming. It will take approximately 75 minutes in total.
- If you’re offered the job, congratulations! We’ll complete a background check and some other routine paperwork before you begin. For this job, we're anticipating a start date between January 1 and February 15.
Washington County CDA is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled