Volunteer Program Assistant
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of individuals living with disabilities? Are you, enthusiastic, energetic, and creative? If you said “YES,” we want to hear from you!
The Movement Centre of Manitoba is a privately funded registered charity and the only one of its kind in Manitoba that specializes in conductive education rehabilitation and therapy for children and adults living with neuromotor disorders. The Movement Centre is committed to serving Manitobans living with neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, acquired brain injury, developmental delays, spina bifida and Parkinson’s disease.
What Do Volunteer Program Assistants Do?
Program Volunteer Assistants make a direct impact on the lives of our clients by helping them work towards their goals of independence. They work with children and adults who have neurological motor disorders in our Conductive Education (CE) classes, helping them gain/regain mobility, confidence, and independence.
- Assist facilitation of the delivery of conductive education rehabilitation by working directly with people living with physical and/or intellectual disabilities:
- motivating, safeguarding, and assisting clients as they develop and practice functional life skills, techniques, and activities designed to meet their specific needs
- transferring clients
- monitoring client conditions and progress during activities and reporting to the program leader
- Set up classroom for specific clients/groups, clean classroom at the conclusion of class
- Assist program leaders with preparation of program materials for clients
- Report any incidents to program leaders and follow incident reporting procedures
- Protect client’s right by maintaining confidentiality
Your Qualifications and Skills:
- Be outgoing, and excited to motivate children and adults to reach their full potential
- Enjoy crafts, science, games, and all things fun
- Feel satisfied when your work makes a true difference in the lives of others
- Love working as a team with people who have shared values
- Have or be prepared to obtain current Security Checks (criminal record check including vulnerable sector search, child abuse registry check, adult abuse registry check)
- Be caring, compassionate, and committed to providing dignity and respect to all members of the public
- Empowering emerging adults with their growth and development
- Developing/adding to a resume of your work for future opportunities
- Making a positive impact on the lives of people living with disabilities
- Growing your professional network
- Invitation to staff and volunteer appreciation events
Hours: 4-8 hours/week, daytime, weekday, minimum 6 month commitment
The Movement Centre values respect and inclusion, honesty and fairness, passion and teamwork and lasting personal relationships We have an enthusiastic, fun, and caring culture, and are looking for people who share those values! Visit our website, Instagram, and Facebook pages for more information on who we are and what we do: www.movementcentre.ca | www.instagram.com/themovementcentreofmb | www.facebook.com/themovementcentreofmb