Program Dates: July 6th through August 7th, Mon – Thurs*
Reading Specialist Hours: Monday – Thursday, approximately 8:00am to 1:30pm
Student Hours: Monday – Thursday, 8:30am – 3:00pm
*There will be a special Friday field trip and two evening family events
1. Collaborate with BEE SMART Director, Site Manager, Educators, Youth Specialist, and Bilingual Parent Liaison throughout the program to ensure cohesive literacy instruction each day. This will include offering level appropriate short readings and books, writing ELA lesson plans, recommending vocabulary definitions, and overseeing Educators that may be available to assist students during the afternoon Literacy hour.
2. Coach individual participants and small groups of students to improve reading skills – coordination with Educators required during morning lessons.
3. Conduct the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment, track and record mid-program and end-ofprogram data for each individual participant and submit data to BEE SMART Program Director in a timely fashion.
1. Advise and assist Program Director with student recruitment.
2. Co-plan and implement a pre-program professional development workshop for fellow staff that will demonstration ways in which Educators can incorporate literacy into their instruction and can be of assistance during students’ independent reading and writing time.
3. Advise and assist Educators/Bilingual Parent Liaison in assigning bilingual student “buddies”.
4. Co-plan and implement a Family Literacy event (to occur in the evening during the final program week) in which parents will learn how to coach their child in reading, and during which each family receives one or more level-appropriate book(s) to take home.
5. Contact parents with update(s) on their child’s reading progress, and to encourage attendance at Family Literacy events.
6. Advise Living Classrooms BEE SMART Educators on implementation of IEPs, where appropriate.
7. Travel to various program sites located in South Baltimore, sometimes more than one per day.
8. Assist Educators in case of emergency (i.e. allergic reaction, violent or emotional outbursts etc.).
9. Assist with routine upkeep of program
10. Other duties as assigned
- Maryland Teacher Certification, concentration in Reading preferred
- At least 2 years teaching experience
- Direct experience with 2nd through 5th grade students