Gardening & Landscaping Crew Member
Lakeside takes pride in the beautiful gardens and landscaping on our grounds. Over a half mile of our property is on the magnificent Lake Erie waterfront. If you enjoy being outside, then be a part of the gardening/landscaping team; creating beauty and enjoying the fresh air. The Grounds Laborer is a seasonal position that can potentially go until November. The Grounds Crew work day shift hours Monday thru Friday with evening and weekends free. The team members are responsible for all phases of care of landscaped flowerbeds and lawn areas in public gardens, including maintenance and development; planting, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning, and interacting with Lakeside guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (To include other duties that may be assigned.)
- To uphold Lakeside’s Mission Statement, and to personally represent its goals and values at all times while on the Lakeside grounds, to our guests and to our associates.
- To uphold Lakeside’s four pillars of religion, education, cultural arts, and recreation by creating a department that welcomes all people to gather and participate in lifelong learning opportunities.
- Receives oral or written orders from a designated member of the grounds crew or the VP of Maintenance Service.
- Cut lawn using hand, power, or riding mower and trim and edge around walks, flower beds, and walls.
- Landscape by planting flowers, grass, shrubs, and bushes.
- Sweep or use of a leaf blower to clean walkway of debris.
- Cut down small tree limbs that are posing a danger.
- Trim shrubs and pull weeds.
- Rake, mulch, and prune the grounds as needed.
- Water plants and grass as needed and apply fertilizer.
- Collects leaves in fall along street in front of Lakeside residents’ property.
- Follows all applicable safety rules and procedures.
- Will clean, maintain, and identify needed repairs on The Lakeside Association Grounds vehicles.
- Reports work accomplished orally or on written work order to supervisor.
- All other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Experience in Grounds is preferred but not required, minimum age requirement is sixteen with a valid Ohio Driver’s License is a must.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to pleasantly greet the public while on a job site.
Ability to apply the basic math concepts.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, climb or balance; specific vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift heavy equipment and material up to 50 pounds with assistance will be provided. Must be able to move tables and chairs with assistance. Must be able to climb ladders, scaffolding, etc. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. You will be required to wear the correct PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and it will be provided for you. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet, cold, humid, hot, very hot, conditions and will be required to work outdoors. These characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.