BASIC PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
HAVAL is developing a research team in the US whose mission is to design and develop an autonomous research system capable of autonomous driving on pre-defined routes without the need for driver intervention, that would support future productization of an SAE Level 4 automated driving system in China for mobility services.
The primary responsibility for this job is to work with a team of engineers to develop behavior planning software that will determine how the autonomous driving system analyzes the environment and selects an appropriate behavioral paradigm that is used to guide the vehicle motion. The Behavior Planning Engineer will interface with other subsystem teams involved in the ADS development including perception, mapping, and motion planning to develop a safe and robust driving system.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES: This position does the following in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws/regulations and the Company’s policies, procedures and guidelines:
- Develop behavior planning software that integrates environmental dynamics including real-time information on road conditions, external vehicles, and interloping agents.
- Develop mission planning software that searches and selects appropriate routing plans for vehicle transit from a departure point to the destination, incorporating information on traffic, time of day, road network structure, and user preferences.
- Construct probabilistic models of external agents for the prediction of future agent states and behaviors.
- Design and develop behavior algorithms that are resilient to degraded inputs such as sensor failures and perceptual anomalies.
- Design robust algorithms that promote trust and safety of the ADS under a wide range of operating conditions.
- Work with the ADS team to design, develop, and support software and hardware interfaces with relevant subsystems.
- Integrate, test, improve, and specify hardware and software to support the behavior planning system users
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND TRAINING:
Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, automation or other relevant fields, or Bachelor’s degree in one of these fields with at least 3+ years relevant software experience in industry
REQUIRED SKILLS AND BACKGROUND:
- Programming experience, including C, C++, Python, Java, Matlab
- Experience with ROS middleware and other operating systems including Linux and Windows
- Modeling expertise including stochastic and time-series modeling
- Knowledge of graph search algorithms (e.g. Dijkstra, A*)
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms including graphical approaches (Bayes nets and HMMs), neural nets, and clustering approaches
- Experience developing software design/debugging/documentation/requirements
- Excellent technical communication skills
DESIRED SKILLS AND BACKGROUND:
- Experience with deep learning architectures
- Background in human decision-making and cognitive modeling
- Familiarity with interfacing to mapping databases (e.g. Google Maps API)
- Experience working with real-time systems and associated software architectures
- Prior work in behavior planning for robotic agents
- English fluency, verbal and written
EQUIPMENT OPERATION (% of the time, description, nature of service):
- Typical office environment. The position will require walking, standing and sitting at a computer.
Candidates for positions with American Haval Motor Technology, LLC must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The information provided in the description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within the classification. This description is not intended to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job/classification. This job is intended to include the current essential functions of the job. Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities and to designate other functions as essential at any time.