Our Story so far
Founded in 1862, F.A.O Schwarz is one of the oldest and most iconic toy retailers in the world. Frederick August Otto Schwarz dreamed of a marvelous, bountiful emporium full of extraordinary, one-of-a-kind toys from all over the world. His dream became a reality, and as one of America’s oldest brands, we have provided this wonder to families for more than 150 years.
Our Vision is that we passionately curate an ever-evolving World of Wonder brought to life through our extraordinary people, experiences, and products to create everlasting memories for all.
We drive quality and innovation, offering one-of-a-kind playthings and creating cherished memories for generations of children. We are more than a toy store. We are a place where toys come to life.
We have mastered the art of showmanship and grand merchandising, and we are pioneers of crafting the concept of in-store experiences which are driving the future of retail today.
Passion - Do what you love and love what you do.
Engaging - Make the first move…
Integrity - Do the right thing, even when no one is looking
Collaborative - Support each other, win as a team
Adaptability - Roll with the Punches!
Driven - Be BOLD and go BEYOND
Accountability- Own it!
As a Sales lead, your focus is 100% on driving sales from the floor. Working closely with Sales Managers to understand the goals and targets of the store daily and work with Toy Ambassadors and Demonstrators to maximize the impact everyone has every day.
You will be confident in delivering a balance of motivational and developmental feedback as part of your role as well as being able to coach any member of the team in sales skills and creating the FAO experience as part of the sales conversation.
You can lead by example demonstrating a best practice approach when it comes to engaging sales conversations.
Performance management is also central to your role ensuring associates work within the store code and demonstrate the FAO values in all their actions.
You spot opportunities and work quickly to maximize them. You work well as part of a team and always make sure the message you deliver to the team is consistent with the wider leadership team and is communicated effectively.
You will be confident in managing at the moment when things do not go to plan and can move at pace when things need to happen.
Spending most of your time on the store floor coaching and managing associates you are able to take a step back and lead when needed as well as getting stuck in when necessary.
You will be leading in line with our values –
Getting to know people and what makes them tick is part of who you are
Job satisfaction is about knowing you delivered on the objectives and goals you and the team were set. You are happy to ask for help and work with the team to deliver on time every time
You love what you do and love to share what you know to help associates develop their skills and knowledge
Always striven to be the best version of yourself and inspiring that in those around you
You are comfortable working as part of a team, supporting others and bringing your knowledge and expertise to conversations and the leadership of the store and our people
You are confident enough to be yourself knowing your style is a match for our brand allow you to be genuine and authentic
You can adapt your approach to get the most out of the team. Listening and using all the insight available to you to change direction at pace when something needs to change
- Communicate daily with the team around targets and performance keeping everyone in the loop of where we are and where we need to be
- Communicating daily information updates to the team
- Be a product expert and have shared this knowledge with the team to develop their knowledge
- Coaching and feedback daily
- Analysis of results and performance of the store and the team to keep on track
- Address any performance issues in a timely way
- Use knowledge of sales conversation techniques to develop individuals
- Stay connected to the wider team that supports the store to keep them informed of any needs you may have from them
- To cover any area of the store when needed to maintain the right level of coverage in key areas of the store
- Supporting store managers in the opening and closing procedures
- Liaise with HR when addressing performance issues
The experience we are looking for from you
- Experience leading a team in a high-energy sales environment with challenging stretch targets
- Strong decision-making skills under pressure
- Working as part of a leadership team in retail
- Proven track record of attention to detail,
- Working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment that is constantly evolving and changing
- Strong computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Teams a plus
- Knowledge of a Retail Store P&L preferred
- Knowledge of and experience with retail Point of Sale systems and operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, sales management or related and equivalent experience preferred
- Capable of lifting up to 25 pounds, bending and twisting and standing for long periods of time
FAO Schwarz is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. FAO Schwarz strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, interns, or any other covered persons, on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy, gender identity, and transgender status, gender, physical or mental disability, including gender dysphoria and similar gender-related conditions, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state and local laws, with respect to hiring, promotion, discipline, firing, compensation, benefits, or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment.
If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, or during the course of your employment, please contact Site Human Resource Manager or Flagship Store Director at careers@faodotcom.