Function – Scope Statement:
The Family Engagement Specialist encourages family/parental involvement in the school and provides ongoing, educational programs to immediate family members, parents/legal guardians of students enrolled in the Texas ACE Program.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plans, coordinates, and implements a Family Engagement Program in each center
- Works closely with the center and the Parent Teacher Organization
- Plans and organizes Family Support Service workshops
- Promotes parent and community volunteers at the center
- Works closely with at-risk students to ensure they receive continued support for their educational goals
- Informs families of community resources that could provide needed assistance.
- Develops Family Resource Centers to check out periodicals, videos, books and educational games/materials for the entire family
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum - Associates Degree in education or related field
- Preferred - Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be familiar with the community and support agencies
- Must be adaptable to meet the needs of the families in the program in addition to working flexible hours to accommodate work in the evening
- Experience working in an educational, social service, or family support service setting
- Experience with child development and effective parenting techniques
- Experience working with families that have diverse cultures and economic backgrounds
- Preferred - Ability to communicate in the native language(s) of program recipients
Internal: Communicate with Club staff, the administrative staff, and President.
External: Communicate with Board Members, Board of Advisors, donors, volunteers, staff and the general public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to fingers, handle, feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER HOUSTON INC. is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled