Cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. Cook
meats, fish, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare
and portion food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties in the
areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of
cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Spell Restaurant Group
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Season and cook food according to recipes.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.