The Engineer will be responsible for maintaining all building related systems and the building to ensure the safety of hotel guests, team members, and vendors. An ideal candidate for this role has great communication skills with a positive demeanor and the ability to multi-task and work well with others.
- Communicate with guests/customers to resolve maintenance issues.
- Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment, including cleaning and lubrication.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines. Carry equipment (e.g., tools, radio).
- Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment.
- Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed.
- Record information for unfinished calls prior to shift change.
- Use the Lockout/Tagout system before performing any maintenance work.
- Carry all equipment (e.g., keys, phones, tools,) in order to maintain preparedness to carry out work tasks at all times.
- Ensure that all flammable materials are stored in OSHA and EPA approved containment devices.
- Respond and attend to guest repair requests.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones)
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using a brand or property specific process to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Speak to guests and team members using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Exchange information with other team members using electronic devices
- Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel, and other finishes to property walls, ceilings, and furniture using brushes, spray guns, or rollers while maintaining property color scheme specifications.
- Apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats.
- Remove old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water and/or abrasive blasting.
- Cover surfaces with drop cloths or masking tape and paper for protection during painting and post appropriate paint signs.
- Clean up and store paint and painting tools and equipment in appropriate areas.
- Coordinate with the vendor in order to modify colors of paint, stain, or varnish with oil, thinning, and drying additives in order to obtain desired colors and consistencies.
- Move up and down a ladder.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Additional duties as assigned by Manager
- Technical, Trade, or Vocational school degree preferred
- At least 2 years of work-related hotel experience required
- HVAC, electrical, plumbing, boiler operations, and general maintenance skills required.
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 pounds on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to bend, squat and lift up to 75 pounds on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to four hours in length.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- An aptitude for self-motivation
- A can-do attitude and a hands-on approach
- A flexible schedule that allows you to be available days, nights, holidays and weekends based on the demands of the hotel
About TWA Hotel
The TWA Hotel at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City (opening in spring 2019) is owned and operated by MCR, the sixth largest hotel owner-operator in the United States with a $2.0 billion portfolio of 85 premium-branded hotels across 26 states and 67 cities, including 50 Marriott properties, 30 Hilton properties, and The High Line Hotel in downtown Manhattan. The company’s innovative approach to guest services and unparalleled attention to detail are redefining the hotel experience and earning recognition from publications including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure. MCR is an equal opportunity employer of more than 2,500 associates and is dedicated to providing an integrity-driven, merit-based working environment. Consistently honored with excellence awards, the company was named one of the United States top owners in 2018 by Hotel Business. For more information on MCR, please visit www.mcrhotels.com