Work involves operating equipment and performing manual labor supporting landscape maintenance (trees, shrubs, turf, and general appearance of District preserves/facilities). This position assists Grounds Management Crews employing proper arboricultural practices to ensure the safety of all forest preserve users while maintaining the health of its natural resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Performs landscape maintenance of preserves including edging, weeding, flower planting, cultivation, shrub pruning, and flower/shrub watering
· Performs turf maintenance includes hand mowing, trimming, sidewalk edger, various small hand, and power tools
· Plants perennials, annuals, bulbs, bushes, and trees
· Installation of soil and compost
· Spread woodchips and split firewood
· De-litter turf areas prior to mowing
· Facility general cleaning including garbage removal, cleaning of gutters, etc.
· Assist with volunteer workdays
· Providing assistance to garden and special event volunteers (including set-up and breakdown)
Perform other duties as required
Education and Experience Required
Additional Information: Must be 18 years of age or older by the first day of employment.
Hours: May-August; approximately 32-40 hours per week (hours vary and can include weekends and holidays)
Preferred Experience: Landscape maintenance and turf management (lawn mower or line trimmer)
Special training or other license, certification,etc.: Must have a valid Driver’s License.
Skills In: Identification of trees, shrubs, native grasses, wildflowers, and exotic weeds for horticulture aspects of preserve management; safe and proper operation and maintenance of a variety of grounds equipment; performing manual labor tasks; understanding and following verbal or written instructions; maintaining effective working relationships.
Onboarding/Training Requirements: Criminal Background Check
Driver's License Check
National Sex Offender Registry Check
Mandated Reporter - Abused and Neglected Child Reporting
Application: Candidates must complete the application process in its entirety, including the Pre-Screen Questions, to be considered for this position. Resumes may be included, but are not accepted in lieu of the application.
Equal Employment Policy: As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County complies with Federal, State, and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. The Forest Preserve District makes all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sex (wages), genetics, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, retaliation, or other unlawful considerations.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County RP089 is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled