The Medication Aide will prepare, administer and document all routinely prescribed medications.
- Observe and report to the facility's charge nurse reactions and side-effects to medication shown by a resident.
- Take and record vital signs prior to the administration of medication which could affect or change the vital signs.
- Administer regularly prescribed medication which the permit holder has been trained to administer only after personally preparing (setting up) the medication to be administered. The medication aide shall document the administered medication in the resident's medication administration record.
- Administer oxygen per nasal cannula or a non-sealing face mask only in an emergency. Immediately after the emergency, the medication aide shall verbally notify the licensed nurse on duty or on call and appropriately document the action and notification.
- Apply specifically ordered ophthalmic, otic, nasal and vaginal medication.
- Be able to accurately follow all principals of good medication administration.
- Cooperate with a licensed nurse in charge and be accountable for all actions.
- Assist in customary daily requirements and tasks in care and treatment such as bathing, feeding, dressing, observing intake of food, care of hair, nails, moving residents from area to area, responding to calls, etc., which includes lifting, transferring. Measure and record vital signs as assigned by the Charge Nurse.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Administrator or Director of Nursing in accordance with the qualifications and training.
- Must be a Certified Medication Aide through successful completion of a State-approved course and is approved to administer oral and external medications.
- Must work within the scope of practice set for by the governing board.
- Must demonstrate working knowledge of Universal Precautions and the Blood Borne Pathogen rules.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds or more and be able to walk alone, turn, pivot and bend as needed to perform all of the duties listed under Specific Job Duties.
Regency Integrated Health Services is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled