Rental Assistance Specialist
We are currently seeking a Rental Assistance Specialist to join our team in our Woodbury, MN 55125 location.
Who We Are:
Washington County Community Development Agency – From providing affordable housing, to helping small businesses create jobs, to funding critical services for the homeless - the work we do directly helps to make people’s lives better. To learn more about us, please visit us at: http://www.washingtoncountycda.org
About the Role:
This position is responsible for performing intermediate administrative work maintaining efficient application of rental assistance programs, serving as the primary contact for landlords and program participants, encouraging self-sufficiency via coordination of the Family Self Sufficiency Program, and related work as apparent or assigned.
What you’ll do:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Receives and processes application materials; clarifies applicant information via telephone or in person meeting; collects and verifies application information; processes client file in accordance with program rules and regulations.
- Coordinates resources and programs to best meet the needs of applicants and clients; determines eligibility for reasonable accommodations.
- Serves as the primary agency contact with participants in rental assistance programs, property owners and case managers.
- Reviews and authorizes cases involving annual recertification, interim rent changes, lease termination and transfers.
- Keeps current on program rules and regulations, including agency administrative plans. Provides input as directed on agency practices and policies.
- Monitors and updates cases involving participant and owner disputes; determines participant eligibility for housing assistance; researches, compiles evidence and presents agency position on terminations, potential fraud cases, and other information as needed at informal hearings.
- Maintains accurate program systems, records, files and reports. Conducts property inspections.
- Calculates participant rent using prescribed methods and regulations.
- Authorizes contracts for self-sufficiency programs; monitors participant progress; determines completion and possible pay out of funds.
Our Perfect Candidate
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work, human services, housing, public administration, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience working in client-related social services, real estate transactions; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- General knowledge of real estate and property management; thorough skill serving program clients; general skill building strategic relationships; ability to display project management and organizational skills; ability to use standard computer equipment; ability to display proficient communication skills.
- Valid driver's license in the State of Minnesota
- Applicable agency and department training necessary to meet the essential functions will be provided upon hire
Required Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Thorough knowledge of the local, state and federal, rules, regulations and manuals associated with rental assistance programs
- Thorough knowledge of standard agency policies, procedures and guidelines; thorough skill compiling and presenting information regarding rental assistance programs to program participants and property owners; thorough skill operating standard office equipment and applicable hardware and software; general skill using database programs to keep and maintain records
- Read and interpret a lease or housing contract
- Ability to make arithmetic computations using whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- Ability to compute rates, ratios and percentages
- Navigate state and national housing websites and database systems
- Maintain confidential data
- Able to interpret data from income verification reports; general skill creating and maintaining applicable records, reports and files
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, landlords, similar agencies, staff, and the general public
- Respect and relate well to people from varied backgrounds
- Understand diverse worldviews, and be sensitive to group differences
- Able to see diversity as an opportunity, and challenge bias and intolerance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications including Excel and Word
- An initial hiring range of $24.78 – $27.87 (hourly), with a current maximum rate of $34.95. Starting wage commensurate with experience and education.
- Comprehensive benefits package available including: generous health and dental insurance offerings, flexible spending accounts, employer-paid short and long-term disability, four weeks of PTO to begin, employer-funded retirement options, performance-based wage increases, and tuition reimbursement.
- A friendly working environment with great colleagues who are committed to making a difference in the community.
- A fantastic work location just off the interstate in Woodbury, close to shopping, restaurants, and recreation opportunities.
Please submit your cover letter, and resume
via the ‘Apply Now’ button!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Please, no phone calls or agency submissions!
Keywords: Housing Choice Vouchers, Section 8, Rental Assistance, Housing, Homeownership Programs, Housing Counseling, Counseling, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Washington County CDA is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled