Apply knowledge of measurement science, mathematics, physics and electronics to calibrate inspection, measurement and test equipment in the electrical, dimensional, physical, mechanical and/or optical disciplines to ensure measurement accuracy. Repair,
clean, calibrate and certify test instruments and related equipment utilizing appropriate measurement procedures and performing corrective actions to address identified measurement problems. Adapt equipment, standards, and procedures to accomplish unique measurements. Maintain calibration standards.
II. JOB RELATIONSHIPS
Immediate Supervisors: Onsite Managers and/or In-house Lab Manager and Assistant Manager/Technical Manager and/or Lead Technicians
Workers Supervised: None
Interrelationships: Initial training will begin in-house in the Metrology Lab where the technician will work closely with the Lab Manager, Assistant Managers and Lead Technicians assigned to specific “Codes” to receive the proper training and development in order to perform the functions required of an In-house and/or Onsite Technician.
After sufficient in-house lab experience has been achieved, the (onsite) technician will then work closely with (Onsite) Managers and Administrative staff for direction and instructions pertaining to job details and schedule.
The calibration technician will also work closely with the Technical Manager and Lead Technician for further OJT training and assistance in providing exceptional customer service whether out in the field or working from an in-house site.
Education: Must have a High School diploma or GED.
Associates degree, technical trade school or military training in measurement science, calibration or related field.
Training and Experience:
· Experience in the metrology field with demonstrated knowledge and skills in at least one of the following: electronic equipment calibration or physical, dimensional, mechanical equipment calibration.
· Knowledge of measurement science, calibration principles, related math, physics, and electronics principles.
· Knowledge of laboratory measurement standards used to calibrate test instruments (TI).
· Skill to correctly use and operate TI and standards used in electrical, dimensional, physical, mechanical and/or optical measurement disciplines.
· Knowledge to perform general math, algebra and statistical equations.
· Skill to use basic computer applications and various software applications.
· Ability to read, correctly interpret and apply calibration procedures.
· Ability to establish priorities, work independently and proceed with work objectives with limited supervision.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to represent JM Test Systems in a professional manner while providing Excellent Customer Service.
IV. PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ABILITIES AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
· Works primarily in a laboratory, manufacturing, plant-type settings, etc. within JM’s locations and at Customer Sites.
· Ability to sit or stand at a desk or test bench for extended periods (up to 2 hours typical).
· Ability to perform lifting of various items unassisted (up to 50 pounds).
· Ability to perform housekeeping, maintenance, and organization of Onsite Trailer or in-house sites.
· Ability to work in confined work areas with a group of others.
· Ability to work indoors/outdoors with varying temperatures and conditions
· Ability to sit, stand, bend, walk, and climb stairs.
V. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL TASK/DUTIES
A. Calibration services
1. Receives job assignments daily, verifying code assignment and determining job details and priorities for daily assignments.
2. Assesses test instrument (TI) condition and diagnose or otherwise identify service requirement for TI.
3. Cleans TI in accordance with instrument code, specifications, instrument sensitivity and researching information on TI as needed.
4. Researches and develops new TI calibration procedures and methods in accordance with detailed specifications, blueprints, drawings, and other technical requirements, writing procedures and creating data sheets (making a template for datasheets) as necessary.
5. Takes measurements and makes adjustments, repairs to unique TI requirements and calibrates in order to ensure compliance with published specifications in the applicable measurement disciplines (electrical, dimensional, physical, mechanical, or optical).
6. Collects, compiles, summarizes and records data gathered during calibration, assuring that complete and accurate information is available for all record-keeping requirements.
7. Analyzes measurement data to identify abnormalities, trends and/or to predict future values, identifying out-of-tolerance conditions and performing corrective actions via adjustments, component replacement, correction factors, etc. Identify and correct measurement errors, as applicable.
8. Certifies TI by verifying that the TI operates in accordance with performance standards, maintaining primary, intrinsic, secondary and/or other working standards as appropriate.
9. Documents all measurements and certifications by recording relevant data and preparing calibration reports and certificates for return to the customer along with the TI.
10. Completes all documentation associated with service in a timely and accurate manner.
B. Process innovation and performance improvement
1. Recommends standards for use in calibration applications, informing lab manager and documenting recommendations as needed.
2. Adapts existing calibration equipment, standards, and techniques to accomplish unique measurement tasks for which they are not principally used.
3. Trains less experienced technicians in calibration concepts and procedures.
4. Seeks and/or requests training to improve skills and service performance.
5. Works with and/or assist the other Team Members.
6. Represents JM Test Systems in a professional manner while providing Excellent Customer Service.
C. Housekeeping and other duties
1. Cleans organizes and maintains work area.
2. Requests and/or orders supplies as needed in accordance with Company procedures.
3. Cleans organizes and prepares staging areas for setting up new calibration assignments/jobs.
4. Transports supplies and equipment as needed to designated locations in a timely and safe manner and in accordance with Company processes.
5. Performs other duties as requested or assigned