Oakland, Ca - Zinus is seeking an experienced Product Design Strategist to join our growing Oakland-based team and lead our product development charge. We’re committed to the development of home-based furniture and mattress products that deliver truly satisfying value to our customers. We are seeking a design strategist who can lead a user-centered design process to incubate and develop these wonder-filled products and experiences from insight, through design & production, and see them finally delivered into the hands of our customers.
The ideal candidate is experienced in both user research and design, with substantial depth on the research and strategy side. Your passion and true talent are for translating user insights into design, and you’re comfortable building research and prototyping methods to develop exceptional product experiences. You will work closely with a team of brand and product designers currently based in Oakland, South Korea, and China.
Lead & Conduct Product & Category Research:
- Develop insight-driven strategies to guide the development of new products, services, and experiences.
- Lead design research efforts from beginning to end: scoping, planning and logistics
- Capable of developing research plans and selecting methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative, to understand customer needs and behaviors around service experiences and retail environments
- Seek out and develop new and interesting research tools, processes and methodologies
- Work closely with designers and engineers to translate insights from the field into actionable and inspiring design principles and guidelines, and mentor team members on best practices around design research processes
Collaborate Through Design & Manufacturing Process:
- Work closely with a multidisciplinary team of designers to brainstorm, prototype and iterate on ideas to bring initiatives from concept to manufacturing
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration and inputs into the design process from teams such as Marketing, Sales, Sourcing R&D and Manufacturing
- Represent our customer needs throughout the entire process
- Travel about 10-20% of time
- 5-10 years working in consulting or on an in-house design research or design team
- Highly motivated leader and self-starter
- Experience leading a design team and process spanning user research through to design implementation
- An innate ability to capture what is important to people and translate that into stunning design
- Well versed and experience leading qualitative research studies
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Bachelors and/or Masters degree in user research, brand strategy or design related field, or equivalent work experience.
Zinus is a rapidly growing and highly successful Global eCommerce mattress and furniture company that values and empowers an entrepreneurial spirit in all of our employees. We’ve been in the mattress and furniture business for over 16 years, compressing and delivering mattresses in a box a decade before anyone else, so we know a thing or two about this eCommerce business. If you chose to join Zinus you’d be joining a team that is committed to the happiness of our employees and customers above all else with the goal of delivering products and experiences that invoke wonder and joy on a daily basis.