Responsible for underwriting and evaluating residential mortgage loan applications originated by the bank’s Mortgage Lenders. Responsible for recommending loan approval of applications. Familiarity and experience with government and conventional loans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned.)
· Analyzes personal/business tax returns and financial statements in mortgage loan applications for underwriting
· Evaluates loan risk and makes underwriting decisions on mortgage loan applications following bank policies and procedures, security guidelines, and complying with all federal, state and local regulations
· Applies underwriting guidelines with the Bank’s investors and programs
· Conduct credit review to ensure that granted loan approval is within Investor guidelines
· Makes underwriting decision on each mortgage loan and recommends approval
· Must be able to work overtime as business needs require
· Assists Credit Admin with “new builder approvals”
· Works closely with Processing and Closing to meet service levels
· Minimize the number mortgage loans that cannot be sold into the secondary market and loans that require repurchase by paying close attention to all details of the underwriting process, regardless of which investor is anticipated to purchase the respective loan. (Goal is zero.)
· Once “lending authority” is granted, approve mortgage loans within authority limits
· Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or at least 5-7 years of recent mortgage underwriting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· FHA DE and VA SAR designation required.
· Knowledge of HMDA reporting requirements related to Underwriting
· Knowledge and experience with all regulations and policies to ensure compliance
· Experience with USDA, Bond, DPA, multi-state, complex tax returns.
· Effective oral and written communication skills.
· Superior analytical thinking and mathematical skills.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Proficiency in using personal computers and office products (e.g., Word, Excel).
· Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work independently.
· Ability to underwrite and properly package a loan.
· Self-starter who is goal- and results-oriented.
· Ability to multi-task using effective time management skills.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Systems experience, including with Calyx Point a plus
· Familiarity with State Housing loans a plus