St. James Parish is hiring a Utilities Operations Clerk for our Gas & Water Division under the Operations Department.
JOB FUNCTION: To perform a variety of clerical tasks for the Public Utilities System. This is a nonexempt position, forty hours per week. Individuals in this class are able to complete the majority of their work with a minimum amount of supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes any combination of the following illustrative examples of duties and responsibilities including but not limited to:
· Responsible for maintaining statistical data as needed, reviewing work orders for accuracy, preparing and inputting customer feedback and information to ensure timely work order completion.
· Complete all company forms governing and documenting work order scheduling, completion, and follow up, as appropriate.
· Diplomatically handle and diffuse sensitive, difficult and disruptive situations that may arise while contending with a significantly high volume of calls, email and in-office contact.
· Assists customers with bills, problems, or complaints
· Create or update records with new files and information
· Enter paperwork into an electronic system either by data entry or by using optical scanners
· Develop an efficient filing system to make updating and retrieving files easier
· Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) with 1 year of clerical experience. Must successfully complete all training requirements as per the Operations & Maintenance Plan and the Emergency Plan for natural gas systems.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, and divide in all units of measurement using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a valid Louisiana Driver’s License, (class “E”) and have an acceptable driving record.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Operate various types of office equipment and computer software (e.g. copy machine, calculator, work processor, accounting, etc.)
· Have excellent public relations skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Knowledge of filing systems
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors within an office environment.
St. James Parish is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. The parish will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, agree or political affiliations.