Catering Chef Manager is responsible for planning,
organizing, delegating and controlling the food preparation and organization of
the Catering Department and staff engaged in providing
an exceptional culinary experience for members of Vincentian, residents, and
It is the duty of all employees to
promote and support a resident centered care environment that ensures the
treatment of all residents, family members, visitors, fellow employees and
customers with kindness, respect, and dignity.
Essential Duties and
1. Commits to the Vincentian Collaborative System (VCS)
mission to nurture and sustain a ministry of compassionate care that preserves
the human dignity of persons within a diverse and changing society.
2. Upholds and promotes the VCS values of spirituality,
compassion, quality, dignity, collaboration, advocacy, stewardship and
3. Promotes and supports a resident centered care
environment that ensures the treatment of all residents, family members,
visitors, fellow employees and customers with kindness, respect, and dignity.
4. Adheres to all facility and department work
rules, policies and procedures.
5. Develops and maintains well defined written culinary policies and procedures for all food service
activities. Reviews at least annually for
6. Collaborates with Human Resources in areas including
recruitment, orientation, training, staff development, performance evaluation,
disciplinary action and policies and procedures.
7. Develops and maintains written job descriptions and
performance evaluations for each level of personnel in the culinary department.
Reviews at least annually for revisions.
8. Interprets the department’s policies and procedures to
employees, residents, families and government agencies when necessary.
9. Reviews and updates facility diet manual according to
latest scientific findings and best practices guidelines.
necessary forms, reports, evaluations and studies.
on, participates in and attends various committees/manager meetings of the
facility as required.
written and/or oral reports of the department programs and activities as
required or as may be directed by each committee/meeting.
and implements recommendations from committees/meetings as they pertain to
and implements a preventive maintenance program.
the needs of the culinary department.
and prepares the culinary budget for food,
equipment, supplies, labor. Submits for
review, recommendations and approval.
current written records of department expenditures and assure that adequate
financial records and cost reports are submitted timely.
18. Is accountable for staying within the monthly catering budget
19. Ensures that information is available for specific menu
options such as vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free.
substitution and alternative cycle menus based
on seasonal availability of foods.
with vendors and attends food distributor food shows to evaluate new food
products, equipment, disposables, etc.
new ideas, recipes and foods into menus in
collaboration with the Executive Director, Dining Experience on a
regular basis to ensure variety.
staffing requirements and assigns a sufficient number of staff for each shift.
standardized methods in which catering tasks
will be performed.
administrative authority, responsibility and accountability to department staff
and supervisors as deemed necessary to perform their assigned duties.
a working knowledge of food service sanitation.
Directs employees in the proper methods of handling food items.
knowledge of and performs expected role in Fire and Disaster plans.
infection control practices and procedures for safety of self and co-workers.
positive impression of Catering Department to
all other staff, residents and visitors at all times.
in interdisciplinary meetings and in-services as assigned.
with staff of the Catering Department, educating
and training, to be in compliance with Department of Health regulations.
32. Catering Chef Manager and
staff will develop and conduct monthly and weekly audits of the main kitchen and
country kitchens to be in compliance with Department of Health regulations.
all other duties assigned by the Executive Director,
– the individual is committed to the Mission and Values of the Vincentian
– the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work
independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities. (Multiple
– the individual inspires and motivates others to perform at a high level,
accepts feedback from others to enhance his/her own leadership skills.
(Multiple Performance Factors)
Skills – the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making,
facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides
regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages
growth. (Multiple Performance Factors)
– the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and
accurate judgment and makes decisions in a timely manner. (Multiple Performance
6. Financial Management – the individual
effectively manages finances for areas he/she oversees, as well as oversight of
adherence to budgetary constraints. (Multiple Performance Factors)
– the individual is able to prioritize work through analysis and understanding
of diverse information. (Judgment)
Skills- the individual has proficiency in Microsoft Office, computer literacy,
computer keyboarding skills and knowledge of basic office equipment. (Job Knowledge)
–the individual exhibits a professional manner, is dependable and relates well
to others including management, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside
the Company. (Professionalism)
– the individual acts appropriately and responds effectively to all sensitive
and confidential situations, inquiries or complaints. (Corporate
– the individual possesses high ethical standards when dealing with others including
management, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company. (Work
– the individual complies with the Code of Ethical Conduct and the Corporate
Compliance Plan and demonstrates this to others at all times. (Corporate Compliance/Confidentiality)
– the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner by
gathering and analyzing information skillfully. (Problem Solving and Decision
Skills – the individual writes and speaks clearly in completing assignments within
the scope of their job responsibilities. (Communication)
Skills - the individual is able to effectively work with others in a
team-oriented environment and effectively interact with fellow employees in both
favorable and unfavorable circumstances. (Interpersonal Skills)
– the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently
and develops realistic action plans. (Productivity/Efficiency)
– the individual is easily adaptable in the work environment and is able to
deal with change, delays or unexpected events. (Productivity/Efficiency)
– the individual complies with federal, state and local laws and regulations to
which the facilities are held responsible. (Corporate Compliance/Confidentiality)
Management – the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and
demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. (Quality)
and Security – the individual actively promotes and personally observes and
complies with all safety and security procedures and uses equipment and
materials properly. (Safety)
School graduate or equivalent required.
2. Experience as a culinary chef in a senior community with
direct reports preferred.
institutional or health care culinary service
management experience required.
experience as a sous chef or head chef required.
minimum of 2 years of previous catering production experience required.
County Health Department certification preferred.
7. Serv-Safe Manager Certificate preferred.
Employees of a long-term care facility
work in a resident care environment that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
365 days per year. Employees can be expected to be exposed to unpleasant odors
and may encounter physically or verbally aggressive residents.
Working conditions include normal
indoor temperatures. There may also be
times when employees perform duties outdoors.
Depending on the season, outdoor temperatures will vary.
Employees may come into contact
with residents who have infectious diseases or to resident bodily fluids or
blood. In addition, employees may come
into contact with hazardous materials and facility equipment.
Vincentian is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Selected candidates will need to successfully complete pre-hire testing including, a drug test, physical exam, TB test and background check.