Job Code 008 Job Title Head Golf Professional - Lexington Golf and Country Club
Department Golf Operations Reports to General Manager
Location: Lexington, VA
Purpose: We are here to positively impact others!
Service Promise: From our Family to yours, we deliver exceptional experiences every step of the way.
Role: The Head Golf Professional oversees and leads all aspects of the golf operation. The PGA Head Golf Professional will work cooperatively with other departments. The position will promote an exceptional "golf experience," and provide excellent services and programs to all patrons.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Embraces ECHO Teamwork values
- Practices Lean Management principles as an integral part of the operation.
Golf Operations Management
- Provide professional club repair and club fitting services.
- Develop, maintain, update, and utilize customer database.
- Ensure the proper storage, safety, and cleaning of golf equipment.
- Play golf with a variety of members and/or guests as time permits.
- Oversee the reservation system, starting, monitoring, and pace of play.
- Oversee golf car fleet while ensuring proper maintenance and recordkeeping.
- Administer the Rules of Golf and educate staff. Promote and provide Rules of Golf clinics to the membership.
- Track and verify all players and guests, green fees, golf cars, club care, lockers, handicap fees, and other charges necessary, and facilitate accurate accounting and recordkeeping.
- Develop and manage an innovative tournament program, group outings, and leagues that service all customer segments.
- Conduct accurate and timely inventory counts.
- Maintain a profitable golf merchandising operation.
- Establish accurate recordkeeping policies and procedures.
- Oversee development of buying plans and all golf-related purchasing.
- Supervise and train all golf shop staff to maximize sales opportunities.
- Maintain an attractive and orderly appearance in and around the golf shop.
- Ensure customer database includes and tracks important dates, spending, sizes, preferences.
- Assist in the development of necessary systems utilizing POS to safeguard inventories and cash.
- Oversee retail merchandise concession in step with the mission of the golf operation and facility.
- Supervise physical inventories, present a diverse and desirable array of golf equipment, apparel, accessories.
- Develop and oversee player development programs.
- Focus on programs for women, families, seniors, and juniors.
- Work with employer to develop Player Development marketing.
- Utilize PGA of America player development tools, resources, and materials.
- Utilize the resources of PGA programs such as Get Golf Ready, PGA Sports Academy, and others.
- Ensure that the services of a well-trained staff of professional instructors are available where required.
- Develop, provide, and oversee an enhanced golf instruction program offering individual and group clinics for all levels.
- Assist with the training of the full facility staff in regard to player development and encourage their participation.
- Adhere to, enforce, and implement policies and procedures of the facility.
- Maintain safety standards and safety equipment within OSHA requirements.
- Work closely with and provide guidance and consultation with all golf committees.
- Assist in the publications of newsletters, informational, and promotional materials.
- Ensure evaluations and annual reviews are completed and recorded for all applicable staff.
- Attend applicable committee meetings and board, management, and staff meetings when requested.
- Recruit, hire, train, motivate, and supervise all golf department staff and maintain accurate payroll records.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled by management and schedule staff meetings with golf operations personnel.
- Set Up regular written communication with supervisor to include facility, programming, staff and customer updates.
- Participate in and compile comparison information using PGA Performance Trak to properly position the facility in the marketplace.
- Update and maintain golf shop policies and procedures and job descriptions and ensure they are adhered to and posted in the proper areas.
Business and Financial
- Ensure all financial goals and objectives are being achieved.
- Ensure systems controls are in place to safeguard assets, revenues, and resources.
- In keeping with facility goals, utilize yield management techniques to maximize course usage.
- Responsible for the financial and operational performance of the golf shop operations and golf services.
- Assist in the development and preparation of budgets, including forecasting and review of all golf operations revenues and expenses on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
Other Facility/Departmental Responsibilities
- Work closely with all department heads to achieve the goals and objectives of the facility.
- Coordinate plans with the Food and Beverage Manager for food and beverage needs for all golf functions.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Golf Course Superintendent and provide advice on course playability and tournament set up.
- Assist the Membership Sales Director in the promotion of new member leads and provide a supporting role in assisting with prospective members and orientation of new members.
- Service and customer focused attitude.
- Fundamental supervisory practices and principles.
- Strong organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Self-motivated with the desire to promote and market.
- Experienced in written and oral business communications.
- Maintain and promote a positive professional image within the community.
- Remain up-to-date on customer relationship management tactics and strategies.
- Maintain PGA of America membership in good standing in an active classification.
- Fundamental knowledge of the game of golf, rules of golf, golf facility operations and tournament operations.
- Act as a role model for all employees by demonstrating the behavior and work ethic expected of all employees.
- Attend conferences, workshops, meetings, and trade shows to keep abreast of marketing and business trends.
- Actively pursue PGA membership (if a PGA Apprentice) in a timely manner through the PGA Professional Golf Management (PGA PGM) program.
- Utilize the resources of PGA player development programs such as Get Golf Ready, PGA Sports Academy, Tee it Forward and others.
- Experienced computer user including; Microsoft Word and Excel. Proficient in other applications, i.e. email, internet, tournament, and database.
- Problem Solving -Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Oral Communication -Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Dependability -Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Adaptability -Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Frequently required to sit
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Frequently work in high, precarious places
- Frequent evening and weekend work required
- Frequently work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to lift/push/carry items up to 50 pounds
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Occasionally exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials
- Frequently utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Frequently work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals
- Frequently exposure to outside weather conditions
- Frequently exposure to extreme heat or cold
- Frequently loud noise
- PGA Dues
- Uniform allowance
- Food and Beverage at 50%
- Medical, Dental, Vision – Company pays up to 60%
- Min - Max $40,000 - $57,000
- (Base: Lesson income and merchandise incentive)
Please note this job description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required for this job. Standard Operating Procedures, Training Checklists, and Departmental Handbooks will be provided to ensure associate is trained in all duties and responsibilities of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Up to Par Management and Taylor Hospitality are Equal Employment Opportunity companies. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, or disability.
About the Company
Up To Par Management | Taylor Hospitality is a leading club and hospitality management company specializing in golf, country club and hospitality operations. Up To Par is a growth-oriented company providing opportunities for its partner clubs and associates.
Up To Par exists to create success for its clubs and hotels through a philosophy of continuous improvement, operational excellence and flawless execution achieved through a culture of financial discipline, safety, and community and environmental stewardship that develops and delivers innovative solutions for its customers, while providing a dynamic and challenging environment for its associates.