Summer Day camp counselor- Spartanburg District One School Sites
NOTE: This position runs the lenghth of summer, you might not hear from us until March when we begin the interview process however feel free to reach out at any time to ensure we recieved your application.
NOTE: This position requires you to report to Campobello Gramling School daily. This is located in Campobello, SC which is 30 minutes from our branch. You will not report daily to the branch for work.
Job Title: Day Camp Counselor
Status: Part Time (Seasonal)
Reports to: Camp Coordinator & Youth Development Director
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
- Supervises a group of children.
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends ALL staff meetings and trainings.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents, children and other staff. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Age 16 or older
- Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting preferred
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
- At least 18 years of age (The age minimum may be higher depending on state law and YMCA policies.)
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training, before hire preferred.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
I have reviewed and understand this job description.
Employee’s name Employee’s signature
Today’s date: _______________________