Certified Nursing Assistant
The certified nursing assistant is responsible to provide resident care under the supervision of the Charge Nurse, follows established facility policies and procedures, and coordinates resident care with other personnel and families.
High School Diploma or GED is desirable. Must be able to read and write. Completion or enrollment in ISDH 105 hour Nursing Assistant Training Program.
Presents a neat, well-groomed appearance, good physical and emotional health, with no previous back injuries or current back weakness. Presents qualities of courtesy, willingness, and cheerfulness.
- Follows established performance standards and performs duties per policies and procedures.
- Requests clarification and/or training for policies and procedures not understood.
- Assists new employees in following facility policies and procedures.
- Provides direct resident care as assigned, completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Identifies special resident problems and reports immediately to Charge Nurse.
- Identifies safety hazards and emergency situations and initiates immediate action.
- Provides resident care without violating the Resident's Rights.
- Participates in monthly in-service programs to maintain certification with the ISDH Nurse Aide Registry.
- Demonstrates an attitude of cooperation and enthusiasm in resident care duties.
- Assumes responsibility for care of equipment and supplies within the facilities.
- Assumes accountability for compliance to Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Reports to Charge Nurse unusual problems or incidents, as well as failure of fellow employees to adhere to facility policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates consistent ability to work cooperatively with residents, families, and other staff members.
- Provides resident care, as outlined by the Charge Nurse or nursing supervisor.
- Reports changes in resident's condition immediately to Charge Nurse.
- Performs all basic nursing skills, as learned in the training program, demonstrating knowledge and competency.
- Follows facility procedures for admission, discharge, and transfer.
- Greets residents and families by name in a kind and caring manner.
- Listens to resident's and family's complaints attentively and reports significant complaints to Charge Nurse.
- Controls angry feelings and expresses anger only in appropriate areas.
- Demonstrates concern for all residents' welfare by rendering immediate and caring assistance to the needs expressed.
- Answers call lights promptly and kindly.
- Works wherever assigned with a cooperative spirit. Comes to work as scheduled, on time, and consistently shows dependability.
- Comes to work in a clean, neat uniform and adheres to dress code.
- Will not come to work under the influence of alcoholic beverages or mind altering drugs.
- Will willingly perform all duties and tasks one is expected to do as a certified nursing assistant.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND TASKS
- Assist the resident with personal care, such as bathing, oral care, grooming, toileting, ambulating, and skin care.
- Assist the resident with eating and drinking, as needed.
- Care for the resident's environment, according to facility guidelines.
- Know procedure of taking and recording vital signs and weights.
- Care for the resident who is dying and give postmortem care.
- Maintain safety for the resident at all times.
- Observe and report abnormal signs and symptoms.
- Assess food and fluid intake, Document as needed.
- Lift, move, turn, and transfer residents.
- Maintain resident rights as guaranteed for the residents.
- Assist resident with devises such as eyeglasses and hearing aids.
- Assist the confused resident with special needs.
- Perform all record keeping and documentation according to facility policy.
- Perform all assigned tasks that you learned and ask for assistance with tasks for which you are unsure.
- Do NOT give medications.
- Do NOT take orders from physicians.
- Do NOT perform any task forbidden by facility policy.
- Know and practice Fire Safety and Disaster Preparedness policies/procedures.
- Know basic first aid, including the Heimlich maneuver. Assess the emergency situation and call for assistance, as needed.
- Know and practice facility policies/procedures for universal precautions and infection control.
Heritage Pointe of Huntington is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled